Posted to dev@allura.apache.org by karthik <ha...@gmail.com> on 2019/06/04 12:21:47 UTC

[allura:tickets] #8292 how to configure external smtp server properties in development.ini for configuring mail

---

** [tickets:#8292] how to configure external smtp server properties in development.ini for configuring mail**

**Status:** open
**Milestone:** v1.10.0
**Labels:** SMTP
**Created:** Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:21 PM UTC by karthik
**Last Updated:** Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:21 PM UTC
**Owner:** nobody

I am able to send mail using the sample python smtp configuration from my local machine using the below code

*sender = 'from@fromdomain.com'
receivers = ['to@todomain.com']

message = """From: From Person <fr...@fromdomain.com>
To: To Person <to...@todomain.com>
Subject: SMTP e-mail test

This is a test e-mail message.
"""

try:
   smtpObj = smtplib.SMTP('**externalServerAddress**:**portNumber**')
   smtpObj.sendmail(sender, receivers, message)
   print "Successfully sent email"
except SMTPException:
   print "Error: unable to send email"*

W.r.to development.ini  I tried configuring the below SMTP parameters

  error_email_from = from@fromdomain.com

; SMTP settings for outgoing mail
smtp_tls = false
smtp_ssl = false

smtp_timeout = 10
smtp_server = **externalServerAddress**
smtp_port = **portNumber**
; Reply-To and From address often used in email notifications:
forgemail.return_path = from@fromdomain.com

forgemail.host =  **externalServerAddress**
forgemail.port = **portNumber**
; domain suffix for your mail, change this.  You also need to route *.*.*.forgemail.domain to the above host/port via
; your mail and DNS configuration
forgemail.domain = fromDomain.com

Even after configuring the above parameters, and starting the gunicorn, the mails are not sent from ui.
Am I missing any configuration in development.ini file.
Could someone assist in setting up the configuration to externalServerAddress in development.ini so that the email could be sent from tickets.

---

Sent from forge-allura.apache.org because dev@allura.apache.org is subscribed to https://forge-allura.apache.org/p/allura/tickets/

[allura:tickets] #8292 how to configure external smtp server properties in development.ini for configuring mail

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
In the config file you should be able to set for example `user_prefs_storage.ldap.fields.email_address = emailAddr` if `emailAddr` is the name of the field in ldap, of course change it if it is something different.

I think that should work, but we haven't tested all types of LDAP configurations so you may run into further issues.  https://forge-allura.apache.org/p/allura/tickets/8266/ is an open issue about documenting fields like above, and when ldap is read-only.

---

** [tickets:#8292] how to configure external smtp server properties in development.ini for configuring mail**

**Status:** open
**Milestone:** v1.10.0
**Labels:** SMTP
**Created:** Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:21 PM UTC by karthik
**Last Updated:** Wed Jun 05, 2019 05:08 AM UTC
**Owner:** nobody

I am able to send mail using the sample python smtp configuration from my local machine using the below code

*sender = 'from@fromdomain.com'
receivers = ['to@todomain.com']

message = """From: From Person <fr...@fromdomain.com>
To: To Person <to...@todomain.com>

This is a test e-mail message.
"""

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
Hi,

Is the `taskd` process running?  That is used for background tasks like sending mails.  https://forge-allura.apache.org/docs/getting_started/install_each_step.html#allura-task-processing  If it is running, check its log file to see what it outputs or if it has any errors there.

The `smtp_*` settings look right.  The `forgemail.*` settings are for receiving inbound email, so wouldn't matter for this.

---

** [tickets:#8292] how to configure external smtp server properties in development.ini for configuring mail**

**Status:** open
**Milestone:** v1.10.0
**Labels:** SMTP
**Created:** Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:21 PM UTC by karthik
**Last Updated:** Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:21 PM UTC
**Owner:** nobody

I am able to send mail using the sample python smtp configuration from my local machine using the below code

*sender = 'from@fromdomain.com'
receivers = ['to@todomain.com']

message = """From: From Person <fr...@fromdomain.com>
To: To Person <to...@todomain.com>

This is a test e-mail message.
"""

Posted by karthik <ha...@gmail.com>.
taskd has already been started with the below command:

nohup paster taskd development.ini > /var/log/allura/taskd.log 2>&1 &

and when i see the log file, it has only "nohup: ignoring input" as a content in the logfile. No errors as such.

Does configuring external server needs any proxy setup or any other requirements.

---

** [tickets:#8292] how to configure external smtp server properties in development.ini for configuring mail**

**Status:** open
**Milestone:** v1.10.0
**Labels:** SMTP
**Created:** Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:21 PM UTC by karthik
**Last Updated:** Tue Jun 04, 2019 08:32 PM UTC
**Owner:** nobody

I am able to send mail using the sample python smtp configuration from my local machine using the below code

*sender = 'from@fromdomain.com'
receivers = ['to@todomain.com']

message = """From: From Person <fr...@fromdomain.com>
To: To Person <to...@todomain.com>