Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org> on 2015/04/27 13:02:52 UTC

Another beta?

Hi All

We're about 2 months now since our last beta, and based on a few recent
posts on bugzilla + lists, we've done some fixes that people are
interested in. However, the great work on a common HSLF/XLSF stuff isn't
yet in trunk, so probably we don't want to do 3.12 final until that is

What do people think about us doing a new beta, 3.12 beta 2, fairly soon?
Worth doing now, or worth waiting for a specific bug/feature first?

Andreas - are you happy to be release manager once more, as/when everyone
thinks we're ready?

Thanks
Nick

RE: Another beta?

Posted by "Allison, Timothy B." <ta...@mitre.org>.
Gah.  Sorry!

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.
On Mon, 4 May 2015, Andreas Beeker wrote:
> On 04.05.2015 22:26, Allison, Timothy B. wrote:
>> While working on TIKA-1315, I found a source for an NPE in
>> XWPFParagraph, and I'd also like to add some tests that will force
>> inclusion of some of the lower-level ooxml classes for paragraph
>> numbering.
>
> I think, the inclusion is not really an issue ... they just need to use
> the ooxml-schemas.jar.

FYI, for Apache Tika, using the full ooxml-schemas jar isn't an option
given the size. The smaller poi-ooxml-schemas jar building was a feature
initially developed to support Tika!

Nick

Re: Another beta?

Posted by Andreas Beeker <an...@gmx.de>.

RE: Another beta?

Posted by "Allison, Timothy B." <ta...@mitre.org>.

Posted by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>.
Hi,

Re: Another beta?

Posted by Andreas Beeker <an...@gmx.de>.

Re: Another beta?

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.
On Mon, 27 Apr 2015, kiwiwings wrote:
> Nick Burch-2 wrote
>> What do people think about us doing a new beta, 3.12 beta 2, fairly
>> soon? Worth doing now, or worth waiting for a specific bug/feature
>> first?
>
> I wouldn't mind if we have a final soon.

OK, doing a final shortly then merging in the SL stuff works fine for me
too!

(I also want to make NPOIFS the default in the next release, so having a
final shortly works well for that)

> Nick Burch-2 wrote
>> Andreas - are you happy to be release manager once more, as/when everyone
>> thinks we're ready?
>
> So I'm fine with playing release manager.

If you're going to be the RM, it's up to you to decide when to start the
release process. Let us know when you'll begin creating the Release
Candidate files, so we'll all know when to get any last minute fixes in
for :)

Cheers
Nick

Re: Another beta?

Posted by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>.
Hi,

I would also opt for a final release fairly quickly instead of more
betas as I don't see big regressions being reported in 3.12beta1
compared to 3.11 and we have already quite a list of bugfixes included
which makes a nice "stabilization release".

After that we are in good shape to quickly apply more bugfixes and do
some of the larger HSLF/XSLF stuff in our own time. I also have one or
two smaller things prepared which could affect interfaces and thus are
better discussed and done after a release.

Dominik.

RE: Another beta?

Posted by OLESEN Mark <ma...@faurecia.com>.

Re: Another beta?

Posted by kiwiwings <ki...@apache.org>.
Hi Nick,

Nick Burch-2 wrote
> However, the great work on a common HSLF/XLSF stuff isn't
> yet in trunk, so probably we don't want to do 3.12 final until that is

Actually, there are a lots of changes in HSLF and I would prefer to have a
stable version
with all the current fixes out, before I start pushing in my stuff.
Currently I'm fixing the HSLF tests or my implementation for it, but there's
still a lot todo.
And of course if the tests run through, I'd like your feedback about the API
breaks,
before I commit it to the trunk.

Nick Burch-2 wrote
> What do people think about us doing a new beta, 3.12 beta 2, fairly soon?
> Worth doing now, or worth waiting for a specific bug/feature first?

I wouldn't mind if we have a final soon.

Nick Burch-2 wrote
> Andreas - are you happy to be release manager once more, as/when everyone
> thinks we're ready?

I think it worked out ok last time and with your detailed guideline it's a
straight forward task.
So I'm fine with playing release manager.

Best wishes,
Andi