Posted to community@apache.org by Antonio Gallardo <an...@apache.org> on 2004/05/29 12:57:24 UTC

[HEADS-UP] Migrating to SVN, history files and old repos...

Hi:

Probably, the point below is clear to most of you, but I thought it is
important to share this experiences with the rest of us who have other
idea of how it can be managed. All of us is a key player to keep the ASF
safe. Please take your time an read below:

These days, many projects inside the ASF are migrating from CVS to
Subversion (SVN). One of the main question while doing that is that we
need to decide:

Should the history being moved to SVN or not?

Similar question we faced in Forrest project and after the discussion we
choosed to have avaliable the history for legal reasons. Here is why:

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=forrest-dev@xml.apache.org&msgNo=11638

If you have other ideas of why not is a good idea, please let us know. I
think this issue must be a policy inside the ASF rather than let each
project decide what to do.

Please join the discussion. To reach a consensus.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: [HEADS-UP] Migrating to SVN, history files and old repos...

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Sat, 29 May 2004, Antonio Gallardo wrote:

> Hi:
>
> Probably, the point below is clear to most of you, but I thought it is
> important to share this experiences with the rest of us who have other
> idea of how it can be managed. All of us is a key player to keep the ASF
> safe. Please take your time an read below:
>
> These days, many projects inside the ASF are migrating from CVS to
> Subversion (SVN). One of the main question while doing that is that we
> need to decide:
>
> Should the history being moved to SVN or not?

IMO, yes, absolutely we want to migrate the history. Having to look two
places for history would be a huge pain.

--
When we are young, wandering the face of the earth,
wondering what our dreams might be worth,

Re: [HEADS-UP] Migrating to SVN, history files and old repos...

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On 30 May 2004, at 05:58, Berin Lautenbach wrote:

<smip>

> Personally I'm a big believer in "no such thing as a dumb question". :>

there's no such thing a dumb question, only a dumb answer :>

- robert

Re: [HEADS-UP] Migrating to SVN, history files and old repos...

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>.
Antonio Gallardo wrote:

> I am sorry if the mail was too dumb for you.

Absolutely not a "dumb" email at all (and I don't believe Noel took it
that way either)!  A very fair question, given I suspect a lot of people
are going to be asking themselves exactly the same thing.

(Personally I'm a big believer in "no such thing as a dumb question". :>)

We probably want to start capturing things around SVN given the growing
push towards migration.  I think I smell an FAQ.... :>.

Cheers,
	Berin

RE: [HEADS-UP] Migrating to SVN, history files and old repos...

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <an...@apache.org>.
Hi:

I think expressed myself bad. Sorry for that. Let's me explain:

1-Nobody suggested to DELETE or DISCARD the history. The question is
related to hold the history in the old CVS repo and migrate just the
lastest sources to SVN vs. a full migrationg to SVN (including the
history). That was the point of the mail.

2-I saw geronimo and forrest discussing the above point. Even voting about
that. I saw this as a waste resources and time. I just wanted to help, by
avoid other communities to discuss this point when will choose to migrate
to SVN.

3- For these reasons, I thought it was important to discuss this.

I am sorry if the mail was too dumb for you.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Noel J. Bergman dijo: