Posted to user@struts.apache.org by ajay brar <aj...@hotmail.com> on 2003/10/08 03:50:49 UTC

ejb's and tomcat

Hi!
does tomcat support ejb's. I'm building a web app which uses struts. i'm
using  ejb's  for the model part.
can i deploy the ejb component on tomcat?
what other alternate ways are there to do so?

thanks
cheers
ajay

RE: ejb's and tomcat

Posted by Brian Richards <nc...@pobox.com>.
www.jboss.org

-brian

Struts security

Posted by Stefan Trcko <st...@aladin-eng.si>.
Hello

I want to implement security in my struts web portal, so
that I can restrict users which actions they can perform.

Has anybody already worked on this kind of security in Struts?

Thanks in advice
Stefan

Re: RSS and Struts

Posted by Mark Lowe <ma...@talk21.com>.
Here you go anyway, but i don't really like answering when you
obviously think the list is a short cut to doing any work and reading..

http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/site/index.html

RSS and Struts

RE: ejb's and tomcat

Posted by "Kunal H. Parikh" <ku...@carsales.com.au>.
Hi Ajay !

Apache Tomcat does not include an EJB container.

You may want to try OpenEJB Container System (http://www.openejb.org) as
a plugin to Tomcat and deploy EJBs.

Another option would be to use JBoss(http://www.jboss.org) which
includes the EJB Container.

Kunal

RE: ejb's and tomcat

Posted by Mark Galbreath <mg...@dirtroad.net>.
Is there an Aussie equivalent for "hillbilly?"

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Mike Duffy wrote:
> Under what circumstances would you recommend the use of EJB?

This might help you out:

http://www.theserverside.com/resources/article.jsp?l=Is-EJB-Appropriate

If you are still undecided, you will probably want to read a book like
"Bitter EJB" to get the full picture. It is not a casual decision that
can be answered on a list like this.

No matter what you do, it's a very good idea to encapsulate the data
access behind a solid DAO layer. One that you can use "out of the box",
with or without EJB is the iBATIS DAO framework <http://ibatis.com>.
It's bundled with with SqlMap stuff, but you don't need to use SqlMaps
to use the iBATIS DAO.

The JPetstore3 example <http://www.ibatis.com/jpetstore/jpetstore.html>
shows how you can integrate the DAO framework with Struts, and also
switch back and forth between EJB and non-EJB implementations just by
changing a value in a properties file. Sweet.

HTH, Ted.

--
Ted Husted,
   Junit in Action  - <http://www.manning.com/massol/>,

Under What Circumstances Would You Recommend the Use of EJB?

Posted by Mike Duffy <md...@yahoo.com>.
Thank you Harm.

I agree with your assessment of JBoss.  JBoss is also a great value (although I think they should
charge some nominal fee to insure the viability of their organization; see Alan Williamson's
August editorial in JDJ).  :)

--- harm@informatiefabriek.nl wrote:
> For what it is worth, I think JBoss is great. It is a very mature
> application server.
> People who claim it's crap obiviously don't know what they are talking
> about.
> I agree, JBoss is not the only application server around, and maybe not
> the best application server.
>
> But to claim it is "crap" is definitly wrong. Especially if you don't back
> up your staments with some arguments.
>
> JBoss is great to develop on (hot deployment), it's very fast, it comes
> with 2 integrated Servlet containers (Jetty or Tomcat), a great management
> interface (jmx-console), and I could go on some more.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Harm de Laat
> Informatiefabriek
> The Netherlands
>

> "Brian McSweeney" <br...@aurium.net>
> 10/09/2003 03:37 PM
> Please respond to
> "Struts Users Mailing List" <st...@jakarta.apache.org>

> cc
>
> Subject
> RE: ejb's and tomcat
>

> I agree, but I was responding to your "jboss is crap" statement, which
> also has little to do with entity beans.

RE: ejb's and tomcat

Posted by ha...@informatiefabriek.nl.

[FRIDAY] Time to Cleanse the Gene Pool?

Posted by Mark Galbreath <mg...@dirtroad.net>.
Anybody getting the news out of Baltimore today?  A 2-day moratorium on
parking ticket fines has been granted and a mile-long line outside city hall
started at 0200 today and continues to grow.  Apparently, these geniuses
didn't bother to read the entire letter they got, which explained that
mailing in the original fine postmarked before the end of the moratorium
period was sufficient.

Mark

RE: ejb's and tomcat

Posted by Brian McSweeney <br...@aurium.net>.
"the only reason I posted that msg was for baiting purposes"

Look, I just don't think that is helpful to anyone. If you are
deliberately saying stuff in order to bait people into a reaction then
IMHO this is the wrong place to do it. I also think that stating this on
the list is a valid enough place to state this. People responded to your
comment in order to advise others that they thought your assessment of
JBoss was incorrect. If it is your true assessment, fair enough, but you
refused to back it up when asked to, and replied that your comment was
just to bait people.

I'm not going to labor the point anymore. No offence meant at all, and
sorry if any was caused. I find this list exceptionally helpful and
pleasant.

RE: ejb's and tomcat

Posted by Brian McSweeney <br...@aurium.net>.
Well congrats on

RE: ejb's and tomcat

Posted by Mark Galbreath <mg...@dirtroad.net>.
I agree they scale well....

Strangely enough I find most of your posts are decidedly fishy.

RE: ejb's and tomcat

Posted by Mark Galbreath <mg...@dirtroad.net>.

RE: ejb's and tomcat

Posted by Brian McSweeney <br...@aurium.net>.

RE: ejb's and tomcat

RE: ejb's and tomcat

RE: ejb's and tomcat

Posted by Mark Galbreath <mg...@dirtroad.net>.
WebSphere 5.0, WebLogic 8.0, and even JRun 4.0 all optimize intra-container
inter-bean method calls.  I still maintain, however, that EJB has been
over-hyped and (especially) now that iBATIS, Hibernate, and various JDO
implementations are available, is overkill and too restrictive (e.g., does
not support polymorphism nor inheritence).  Ask yourself if you would use
CORBA in the same situation.

Mark

RE: ejb's and tomcat

Posted by Navjot Singh <na...@net4india.net>.

RE: ejb's and tomcat

Posted by Mark Galbreath <mg...@dirtroad.net>.
JBoss is crap, anyway.

RE: ejb's and tomcat

Posted by Brian McSweeney <br...@aurium.net>.
This isn't the case for jboss at least. You gain major performance
increases.

The CMP2.x spec allows declaring EJBs as local objects.

The advantage of the local EJB objects is that they don't get
serialized/deserialized(I think) and pass-by-reference and not by-value.

Effectively, If you use a LocalEJB, you have the flexibitly of making
the REMOTE with very few changes to code.

People, please correct me if I am wrong.

Kunal
In the same way acronyms look great on resumes, they also look just
super on
product brochures.
If you use EJBs you can proudly proclaim that your application is "based
on
J2EE EJB technology"!
This is useful for impressing clueless manager types even if EJBs confer
no
actual technical advantage (and often many disadvantages) to what your

RE: ejb's and tomcat

RE: ejb's and tomcat

RE: ejb's and tomcat

RE: ejb's and tomcat