Posted to dev@trafficcontrol.apache.org by "Dremin, Sergey" <Se...@comcast.com> on 2018/06/06 20:50:39 UTC

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Add minimum caches field to deep routing logic

Hi Eric,
The problem will materialize once we enable deep routing for non-live delivery channels with larger libraries. Those delivery channels need to be deep routed only to deep cache groups of sufficient size to make sure caching efficiency remains at acceptable levels. Right now that is not possible. They will be routed to any deep cache groups, even where there is a single server, resulting in poor caching efficiency, and more traffic to the mids.
Does that explain the problem sufficiently?
~Sergey

On 6/5/18, 7:10 PM, "Eric Friedrich (efriedri)" <ef...@cisco.com> wrote:

    Hey Sergey-
      What is the problem that you are experiencing here?

     I understand what you are proposing, but am not sure why this is needed. I would find some more details very useful

    Thanks,
    Eric

Re: [EXTERNAL] Add minimum caches field to deep routing logic

Posted by "Dremin, Sergey" <Se...@comcast.com>.
Eric, good points, thank you.

      Have you considered using deep cache CG TB provisioned instead of # caches in group?
           Not all caches are created equal- 5 caches in CG1 maybe have half the storage of 2 caches in CG2.

-  No and true. I don't think I need this to be this complicated yet.

      Does the state/availability of a cache impact TRs decision?
           Is there a difference between a cache being REPORTED, REPORTED (and overloaded by TM), OFFLINE, ADMIN_DOWN?

- Yes, additional TR logic will be required to hand this properly.

On 6/8/18, 11:04 AM, "Eric Friedrich (efriedri)" <ef...@cisco.com> wrote:

    Hey Sergey-
      I’m good with it in general. A few design considerations:

      Have you considered using deep cache CG TB provisioned instead of # caches in group?
           Not all caches are created equal- 5 caches in CG1 maybe have half the storage of 2 caches in CG2.

      Does the state/availability of a cache impact TRs decision?
           Is there a difference between a cache being REPORTED, REPORTED (and overloaded by TM), OFFLINE, ADMIN_DOWN?

      —Eric

Posted by "Eric Friedrich (efriedri)" <ef...@cisco.com>.
Hey Sergey-

Posted by "Dremin, Sergey" <Se...@comcast.com>.