Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Jill Melanie Wirth <jm...@aol.com> on 2017/06/26 19:54:52 UTC

Open Office for MacBook

Hello ~ I have used Open Office 3.4.1 on my Mac OS X version 10.6.8
I just bought a new Mac OS Sierra, version 10.12.5
I would like to download Open Office on this computer.
Please tell me what version to choose.
Thank you very much for your help.
All the Best,
Jill Wirth

Re: Open Office for MacBook

Posted by James Plante <ji...@me.com>.
Jill,
Go to http://www.openoffice.org; click the second choice (“I want to download Apache OpenOffice”)
The next page of the website will detect the type of browser you’re using, and offer the correct download.
Since I’m using an iMac with the latest MacOS, it offers me OS X (version >= 10.7) (DMG), in English (US), and version 4.1.3
Select the button marked “Download full version”
Walk away. Don’t click anything else. your file will download to your “Downloads” folder as a .dmg file unless you’ve done something to alter the destination of downloaded files.

After the download is complete (it’ll take a while), open the Downloads folder and double-click the .dmg file. The program will be extracted, the web page will take you to a different place, again offering a download button: LEAVE THIS PAGE ALONE. DON’T CLICK ANYTHING. Wait until a window appears showing “OpenOffice” in the title bar. The top line of icons shows OpenOffice.app and an alias to your Applications folder. Drag the OpenOffice.app icon to the Applications folder.

When you click on the newly-installed OpenOffice.app, you’ll run headlong into Gatekeeper. Gatekeeper keeps you safe from malware and other bad stuff. But it’s a digital hemorrhoid. It’ll tell you AOo is an app it doesn’t recognize, and it won’t allow it to open. Just Command-click on the OpenOffice.app icon and tell it to open anyway.

Hope this helps,

Jim Plante

Open Office for MacBook (corrected question)

Posted by Jill Melanie Wirth <jm...@aol.com>.

(I sent a previous email, but I don't think it was clear.)

Hello ~ I used Open Office 3.4.1 on my Mac OS X version 10.6.8
I just bought a Mac OS Sierra, version 10.12.5
I would like to download Open Office onto this computer.
Please tell me which Open Office to choose.