Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Chris Maeda <ch...@yahoo.com> on 2002/01/08 23:46:30 UTC

Xerces 1.4.4 builds on Microsoft .NET

I have Xerces 1.4.4 building for Microsoft .NET
using the Beta1 J# compiler.  I didn't have to modify
the source code except for 2 files that the J#
compiler cannot handle yet.  (XPath.java and
Token.java; These bugs have been reported to
Microsoft.)  Other than that, I only had
to add a few lines to the build.xml (attached).

Is .NET support something the Xerces-J community
is interested in pursuing.  I have to do Xerces on
.NET anyway for work but I wanted to know if you want
to incorporate .NET support into the mainline
distributions.

=====
Chris Maeda (cmaeda@alum.mit.edu)

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/

RE: Xerces 1.4.4 builds on Microsoft .NET

Posted by Brad O'Hearne <br...@neurofire.com>.
My 2cents below, not that I am considered a developer, but someone very
active in the development/Java communities:

I wouldn't think so, and I think it would be a mistake to do so.  First off,
J# is not Java.  It is Java syntax that works only on .NET, which by
definition violates the Java specification.  Also, by Microsoft's own
admission, the end purpose of J# is not to either promote or support Java on
.NET,  it is a migration path to C#.  Third, J# is not planned (to my
knowledge) to support the latest jdk versions, or versions going forward.

So, I think that if Apache supported Xerces on .NET (the best move there
would be converting the Xerces-J codebase to C#), then that would be another
matter.  But I think having the Xerces-J community support .NET would at
best present a situation where the code is inevitably going to fork, and at
worst disillusion those interested in the open source/Java communities who
might otherwise be interested in contributing to Xerces.  Not to go on a
religious tangent, but it is blatantly obvious that .NET is more than just a
set of technology, it is as much a power move than anything, and J# is
designed to pull developers off of Java and onto C#, and is seen by many as
yet another infringement on the Java spec.

I know not everyone views things this way, but know that there are those who
do.  Myself, having come from the Microsoft world and being around at the
very beginning with J++ and Microsoft's dealings with Java and J++ back in
1997, I am well-acquainted with MS attempts to control and manipulate Java,
and it is no secret that the purposes of J# are.  I would think it very
strange to try to make Xerces-J run on .NET, when it runs on Windows
already.  Now if a new project called Xerces-C# is undertaken, then that's
another matter, but anyway, that's my 2 cents.

BradO