Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by dh...@lexmark.com on 2001/11/02 19:35:21 UTC

Building nightly build - tiles classpath problem

Hi.  I am building the nightly build, which now includes building the Tiles
dist.

I get compilation errors, however, due to a classpath problem.  Everything
builds fine on the Struts side, using the relative paths set up in
build.properties.  However, when it gets to Tiles, the base directory is now the
contrib/tiles dir, and the relative paths for servlet.jar etc are no longer
valid.  eg commons-beanutils.jar=../commons-beanutils-1.0/commons-beanutils.jar,
which when you go "down" two directories to the tiles dir, is no longer pointing
at the right place.

I have played around with things a little, and can't figure out a way to sort
this out, without added separate properties in the tiles build.xml.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Dave

Re: Building nightly build - tiles classpath problem

Posted by Cedric Dumoulin <ce...@lifl.fr>.
  Hi,

  Personally, I use absolute paths in my build.properties file :

commons-lib.home=E:/programs/jakarta/commons/lib
commons-beanutils.jar=${commons-lib.home}/commons-beanutils.jar
commons-collections.jar=${commons-lib.home}/commons-collections.jar
commons-digester.jar=${commons-lib.home}/commons-digester.jar

  Note that I use another variable to specify the root of all my common-jars. So,
when I need to change the path, I only change it in one place. It is possible to
extend this solution to others properties in build.properties.

  I know that if you use relative paths, Tiles doesn't compile because the base
directory is not the same as Struts one. Unfortunately, I haven't find a solution
allowing to specify either an absolute and a relative path for needed properties,
while keeping Struts and Tiles well separated.

    Cedric

dhay@lexmark.com wrote:

> Hi.  I am building the nightly build, which now includes building the Tiles
> dist.
>
> I get compilation errors, however, due to a classpath problem.  Everything
> builds fine on the Struts side, using the relative paths set up in
> build.properties.  However, when it gets to Tiles, the base directory is now the
> contrib/tiles dir, and the relative paths for servlet.jar etc are no longer
> valid.  eg commons-beanutils.jar=../commons-beanutils-1.0/commons-beanutils.jar,
> which when you go "down" two directories to the tiles dir, is no longer pointing
> at the right place.
>
> I have played around with things a little, and can't figure out a way to sort
> this out, without added separate properties in the tiles build.xml.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dave

Re: Building nightly build - tiles classpath problem

Posted by ma...@tumbleweed.com.
I haven't tried the nightly build recently, but I do frequently update from
CVS and do 'ant clean' followed by 'ant dist'. I haven't seen any problems
recently. I keep my CLASSPATH variable empty, so that I know there are no
inadvertent side effects.

--
Martin Cooper

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>