Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Hajo Locke <Ha...@gmx.de> on 2018/11/05 08:43:14 UTC

[users@httpd] define variables by vhost only

Hello List,

iam looking for a way to use define to create variables limited to
vhosts (apache 2.4).
Currently i have some vhosts and use this syntax:

define myvar mycontent.

Name of variables is in all vhosts the same, "mycontent" is different
and vhost related. Later i use this variable in .htaccess files for users:

Addhandler ${myvar} .php

Unfortunately define-directive defines the variable for complete server
and not to vhost only. so content of "myvar" gets overwritten with every
following vhost-config.
So if user A uses this variable, he sees content of variable created in
vhost for user z.

Is there a possibility to use variables limited to vhost but can be used
the same way in .htaccess files? I think setenv seems not suitable for this.

Thanks,
Hajo

Re: [users@httpd] define variables by vhost only

Posted by Hajo Locke <Ha...@gmx.de>.
Hello,

thanks for your answer.

Am 05.11.2018 um 14:00 schrieb Gillis J. de Nijs:
> Alternatlvely, you can just put the AddHandler in the VirtualHost
> directly, and not bother with the .htaccess files.
yes, i have in Vhost a preconfigured addhandler which fits for most
needs. These parts of VHost-Configurations are created automatically by
our own customer-menu. The addhandler in .htaccess file should help
people with some special requirements.
We moved from classic fastcgi to mod_proxy_fcgid, and we try to keep
userspaceconfiguration unchanged, but seems to be impossible.
May be we should say good buy to our former use of addhandler to choose
php-versions and only use the modern way. But its not easy for
support-people. Its harder to support uneven machines with mixed setups.
The use of "define" was our closest attempt, but also seems to be off
the track.

Posted by "Gillis J. de Nijs" <gi...@jink.net.INVALID>.

Posted by Hajo Locke <Ha...@gmx.de>.
Hello,

thanks, for your answer.

Am 05.11.2018 um 13:54 schrieb David Spector:
> Just in case it wasn't obvious, the message I just sent assumes that
> your server is managed by WHM/cPanel. If not, just use Include
> directives in your conf file.
sorry, i dont understand. Is this a documented feature? Currently i use
multiple files for vhosts, but i dont see how it helps to reduce the
scope of variables created by Define-Directive to particular VHost only.

Posted by David Spector <da...@springtimesoftware.com>.
Hajo, You can define variables or do any other configuration of Apache
just for virtual hosts by creating files for either of these special paths:

* For HTTPS, version 2.4:

/etc/apache2/conf.d/userdata/ssl/2_4/USER/DOMAIN/ANYNAME.conf

* For HTTP, version 2.4:

/etc/apache2/conf.d/userdata/std/2_4/USER/DOMAIN/ANYNAME.conf

For example:

/etc/apache2/conf.d/userdata/ssl/2_4/steve/example.com/vhost.conf

After creating your virtual host common config file, execute the
following two commands:

* Rebuild the main config file:
/usr/local/cpanel/scripts/rebuildhttpdconf

* Restart the Apache server:
/usr/local/cpanel/scripts/restartsrv_httpd

I use this technique to configure a common readonly directory outside of
any document root that can be accessed by PHP or HTML from any virtual
host. Works perfectly on my Centos server as well as my local Windows
development server, where my configuration is Included in each virtual
host explicitly.

David Spector
Springtime Software