Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2000/10/03 17:26:33 UTC

hype hurts, hurts bad!

http://www.vbxml.com/xpl/spec_draft.asp

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: hype hurts, hurts bad!

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.
On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 11:24:39PM -0400, Donald Ball wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Paul Russell wrote:
> > Just out of interest, do people here think anyone will try to
> > develop a programming language implemented in XML?
> they have. it's called XSLT. :)
> (i knew i had reached the point of maximum absurdity when i implemented a
> shell command execution extension for xalan.)

Heh! You sir, are sick. (In the nicest possible way, of course)
I meant something more, uh, traditional than XSLT, but I take
your point ;)

Paul, <donalds:sh>rm -rf /</donalds:sh>ing with the best of them

--
Paul Russell                               <pa...@luminas.co.uk>
Luminas Ltd.

Re: hype hurts, hurts bad!

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Donald Ball wrote:

> > > Whoop! Buzword bingo!
> > >
> > > Just out of interest, do people here think anyone will try to
> > > develop a programming language implemented in XML?
> > >
> > > <xpl:for init="" test="true" inc="">
> > >  <xpl:call-function name="myMyThisIsALittleVerboseIsntIt"/>
> > > </xpl:for>
> >
> > they have. it's called XSLT. :)
> >
> > (i knew i had reached the point of maximum absurdity when i implemented a
> > shell command execution extension for xalan.)
>
> I was waiting for somebody to do that :)
>
> And the winner of the "most dangerous hack of the year" goes to... :)

why, thank you! and people wonder why it's dangerous for cocoon to accept
xml or xslt from an untrusted agent... but this hack wasn't for cocoon at
all, it was for sucx (Simple UNIX Configuration in XML!).

- donald, once again giving users the power to not simply shoot themselves
  in the foot, but to take off their entire leg in the process

Re: hype hurts, hurts bad!

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Re: hype hurts, hurts bad!

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.
On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Paul Russell wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 05:26:33PM +0200, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > http://www.vbxml.com/xpl/spec_draft.asp
>
> Whoop! Buzword bingo!
>
> Just out of interest, do people here think anyone will try to
> develop a programming language implemented in XML?
>
> <xpl:for init="" test="true" inc="">
>  <xpl:call-function name="myMyThisIsALittleVerboseIsntIt"/>
> </xpl:for>

they have. it's called XSLT. :)

(i knew i had reached the point of maximum absurdity when i implemented a
shell command execution extension for xalan.)

- donald

Re: hype hurts, hurts bad!

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.
On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Paul Russell wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 05:26:33PM +0200, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > http://www.vbxml.com/xpl/spec_draft.asp
>
> Whoop! Buzword bingo!
>
> Just out of interest, do people here think anyone will try to
> develop a programming language implemented in XML?
>
> <xpl:for init="" test="true" inc="">
>  <xpl:call-function name="myMyThisIsALittleVerboseIsntIt"/>
> </xpl:for>

I gave a paper on this at XML DevCon NY.
http://xml.sergeant.org/xmldevcon/littlelang.dkb

There are some merits to building (small) languages in XML, but they
aren't quite seeing 100% fruition yet.

--
<Matt/>

** Director and CTO **
**  AxKit.com Ltd   **  ** XML Application Serving **
** http://axkit.org **  ** XSLT, XPathScript, XSP  **
**     Personal Web Site: http://sergeant.org/     **

Re: hype hurts, hurts bad!

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.
On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 05:26:33PM +0200, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> http://www.vbxml.com/xpl/spec_draft.asp

Whoop! Buzword bingo!

Just out of interest, do people here think anyone will try to
develop a programming language implemented in XML?

<xpl:for init="" test="true" inc="">
 <xpl:call-function name="myMyThisIsALittleVerboseIsntIt"/>
</xpl:for>

Paul