Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by PerseP <pe...@wanadoo.es> on 2000/12/09 20:42:28 UTC

tomcat and internet explorer

Hi,

I have just setup tomcat 3.2 on windows 98 and i've just discovered that when running tomcat without apache on I can see the index page of tomcat in Netscape (port 8080) but I can't see anything with Internet Explorer, I just get "Can't display page".

Does tomcat need any special setting to make it run with Internet Explorer?.

Thank you.

Re: tomcat and internet explorer

Posted by William Brogden <wb...@bga.com>.

> PerseP wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have just setup tomcat 3.2 on windows 98 and i've just discovered
> that when running tomcat without apache on I can see the index page of
> tomcat in Netscape (port 8080) but I can't see anything with Internet
> Explorer, I just get "Can't display page".
>
> Does tomcat need any special setting to make it run with Internet
> Explorer?.
>
> Thank you.

IE has an annoying setting in the Internet Options dialog,
advanced tab, under browsing. Make sure that the option
"show friendly HTTP error messages" is NOT checked. That
way you might see something useful instead of "can't display page"

--
WBB - wbrogden@lanw.com
Java Cert mock exams http://www.lanw.com/java/javacert/

Re: tomcat and internet explorer

Posted by PerseP <pe...@wanadoo.es>.
Thank you for your reply, it does work all right with IE,it's just that it didn't put the http:// automatically and Netscape did :-)

Posted by Iwan Eising <iw...@i-ware.net>.

Posted by Patrick Berry <pb...@freestyleinteractive.com>.
on 12/9/00 11:42 AM, PerseP at persep@wanadoo.es wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just setup tomcat 3.2 on windows 98 and i've just discovered that when
> running tomcat without apache on I can see the index page of tomcat in
> Netscape (port 8080) but I can't see anything with Internet Explorer, I just
> get "Can't display page".
>
> Does tomcat need any special setting to make it run with Internet Explorer?.
>
> Thank you.

While the question has already been answered, the actual culprit is how IE
for win32 handles urls with a specified port number.  If you specify a port
number you must include the http:// prefix.  It's always a good idea to
anyway so you don't have to depend on the browser to provide the work around
and try and guess which protocol you want to use.

Pat