Posted to user@synapse.apache.org by Anthony Bull <an...@bcsoft.co.nz> on 2007/10/16 00:11:09 UTC

WS-Security and Synapse

Hi, I have been trying to set up a proxy for some axis2 web services,
and have been having trouble with WS-Security.

The entire message including the WS-Security headers are intended for my
endpoint (axis2 service), however Synapse is trying to handle the
WS-Security headers (see error message below).  How can I get Synapse to
ignore the security headers and simply send the message to the endpoint
no matter what?

The error message at Synapse is:

org.apache.axis2.AxisFault: Must Understand check failed for header
http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-wssecurity-secext-1.0.xsd
: Security

Here is the SOAP message that is being sent to Synapse:

  <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
  <soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenv="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope">
    <soapenv:Header>
      <wsse:Security
xmlns:wsse="http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-wssecurity-secext-1.0.xsd"

                     soapenv:mustUnderstand="true">
        <wsu:Timestamp
xmlns:wsu="http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-wssecurity-utility-1.0.xsd"

                       wsu:Id="Timestamp-5311938">
          <wsu:Created>2007-10-15T21:36:59.163Z</wsu:Created>
          <wsu:Expires>2007-10-15T21:41:59.163Z</wsu:Expires>
        </wsu:Timestamp>
        <wsse:UsernameToken
xmlns:wsu="http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-wssecurity-utility-1.0.xsd"

                            wsu:Id="UsernameToken-30318493">
          <wsse:Username>bgilbert</wsse:Username>
          <wsse:Password
Type="http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-username-token-profile-1.0#PasswordText">x</wsse:Password>
        </wsse:UsernameToken>
      </wsse:Security>
    </soapenv:Header>
    <soapenv:Body>
      <GetVehicleInformationRequest
xmlns="urn:toyota-co-nz:vehicle:vehicle-info-request-1.0.0"><Registration>rav4</Registration></GetVehicleInformationRequest>
    </soapenv:Body>
  </soapenv:Envelope>

thanks,
Anthony.

Re: WS-Security and Synapse

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Ahhaaa I got it.

Thanks,
Ruwan

On 10/17/07, Anthony Bull <an...@bcsoft.co.nz> wrote:

> [...]
> xmlns:wsu="
>
>          http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-wssecurity-utility-1.0.xsd
>
>  "
>
>                             wsu:Id="UsernameToken-30318493">
>           <wsse:Username>bgilbert</wsse:Username>
>           <wsse:Password
> Type="
>
>          http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-username-token-profile-1.0#PasswordText
>
>  ">x</wsse:Password>
>         </wsse:UsernameToken>
>       </wsse:Security>
>     </soapenv:Header>
>     <soapenv:Body>
>       <GetVehicleInformationRequest
> xmlns="urn:toyota-co-nz:vehicle:vehicle-info-request-1.0.0
> "><Registration>rav4</Registration></GetVehicleInformationRequest>
>     </soapenv:Body>
>   </soapenv:Envelope>
>
> thanks,
> Anthony.

>                 --
>
> Anthony
> -------------------------------------
> Anthony Bull
> Senior Developer
> Black Coffee Software Ltd
> PO Box 10-192 The Terrace
> Wellington, New Zealand
>
> anthony.bull@bcsoft.co.nz
> Ph  +64 4 472 8818
> Fax +64 4 472 8811
> -------------------------------------
> www.bcsoft.co.nz
> This email may contain confidential or privileged information,
> and is intended for use only by the addressee, or addressees.
> If you are not the intended recipient please advise the sender
> immediately and do not copy, use or disclose the contents to
> any other person or organisation.
> Black Coffee Software Ltd accepts no responsibility for viruses
> received with this email, or to any changes made to the original
> content. Any views or opinions expressed in this email may be
> personal to the sender and are not necessarily those of Black
> Coffee Software Ltd.

> Anthony
> -------------------------------------
> Anthony Bull
> Senior Developer
> Black Coffee Software Ltd
> PO Box 10-192 The Terrace
> Wellington, New Zealand
>
> anthony.bull@bcsoft.co.nz
> Ph  +64 4 472 8818
> Fax +64 4 472 8811
> -------------------------------------
> www.bcsoft.co.nz
> This email may contain confidential or privileged information,
> and is intended for use only by the addressee, or addressees.
> If you are not the intended recipient please advise the sender
> immediately and do not copy, use or disclose the contents to
> any other person or organisation.
> Black Coffee Software Ltd accepts no responsibility for viruses
> received with this email, or to any changes made to the original
> content. Any views or opinions expressed in this email may be
> personal to the sender and are not necessarily those of Black

Ruwan Linton

Re: WS-Security and Synapse

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi Anthony,

On 10/16/07, Anthony Bull <an...@bcsoft.co.nz> wrote:

> Hi Ruwan,
>
> thanks for the reply.  The situation is we have a machine sitting
> externally at a client site, and this has to proxy some web services on
> internal machines at the client site.  The client (a big client with
> stringent security requirements) require that all web service requests
> to go through a certain point (the Synapse setup) and that the web
> services aren't on the external layer of their network.  Also there are
> other software vendors writing .NET web services that will be used
> through Synapse in a similar way.  The future plan is to do some
> mediation, such as aggregation of web services.

Cool !!

Also, I'm not sure if anyone is aware but I managed to get the setup I
> required working with the latest nightly snapshot build of Synapse.  So
> it looks like the architecture stuff has been done already?

Nice to hear that :D

 I then
> managed to get it setup in an axis2 running inside Tomcat, which took a
> bit of fiddling around to get everything working.  The synapse.xml file
> I used is:

Just for the clarification, you are using the standalone distro, not the
synapse-handler.mar right?

<definitions xmlns="http://ws.apache.org/ns/synapse">
>     <proxy name="DataHubVehicleService-1.0.0">
>         <target>
>             <inSequence>
>                 <send>
>                     <endpoint>
>                         <address
> uri="http://tnz017:8080/tnz/services/DataHubVehicleService-1.0.0"
> optimize="swa"/>
>                     </endpoint>
>                 </send>
>             </inSequence>
>             <outSequence>
>                 <send/>
>             </outSequence>
>         </target>
>         <publishWSDL
>
> uri="file:C:/Projects/data-hub/data-hub-vehicle-service/resources/DataHubVehicleService-
> 1.0.0.wsdl"/>
>     </proxy>
> </definitions>

Thanks,
Ruwan

Ruwan Linton wrote:
> [...]
> Senior Developer
> Black Coffee Software Ltd
> PO Box 10-192 The Terrace
> Wellington, New Zealand
>
> anthony.bull@bcsoft.co.nz
> Ph  +64 4 472 8818
> Fax +64 4 472 8811
> -------------------------------------
> www.bcsoft.co.nz
> This email may contain confidential or privileged information,
> and is intended for use only by the addressee, or addressees.
> If you are not the intended recipient please advise the sender
> immediately and do not copy, use or disclose the contents to
> any other person or organisation.
> Black Coffee Software Ltd accepts no responsibility for viruses
> received with this email, or to any changes made to the original
> content. Any views or opinions expressed in this email may be
> personal to the sender and are not necessarily those of Black

Ruwan Linton

Re: WS-Security and Synapse

Posted by Anthony Bull <an...@bcsoft.co.nz>.
Hi Ruwan,

thanks for the reply.  The situation is we have a machine sitting
externally at a client site, and this has to proxy some web services on
internal machines at the client site.  The client (a big client with
stringent security requirements) require that all web service requests
to go through a certain point (the Synapse setup) and that the web
services aren't on the external layer of their network.  Also there are
other software vendors writing .NET web services that will be used
through Synapse in a similar way.  The future plan is to do some
mediation, such as aggregation of web services.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone is aware but I managed to get the setup I
required working with the latest nightly snapshot build of Synapse.  So
it looks like the architecture stuff has been done already?  I then

Ruwan Linton wrote:
> [...]
>>           <wsu:Expires>2007-10-15T21:41:59.163Z</wsu:Expires>
>>         </wsu:Timestamp>
>>         <wsse:UsernameToken
>> xmlns:wsu="
>> http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-wssecurity-utility-1.0.xsd
>> "
>>
>>                             wsu:Id="UsernameToken-30318493">
>>           <wsse:Username>bgilbert</wsse:Username>
>>           <wsse:Password
>> Type="
>> http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-username-token-profile-1.0#PasswordText
>> ">x</wsse:Password>
>>         </wsse:UsernameToken>
>>       </wsse:Security>
>>     </soapenv:Header>
>>     <soapenv:Body>
>>       <GetVehicleInformationRequest
>> xmlns="urn:toyota-co-nz:vehicle:vehicle-info-request-1.0.0
>> "><Registration>rav4</Registration></GetVehicleInformationRequest>

Anthony
-------------------------------------
Anthony Bull
Senior Developer
Black Coffee Software Ltd
PO Box 10-192 The Terrace
Wellington, New Zealand

anthony.bull@bcsoft.co.nz
Ph  +64 4 472 8818
Fax +64 4 472 8811
-------------------------------------

Re: WS-Security and Synapse

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
We definitely need to support this. A simple scenario is doing session-aware
load-balancing across two backends with secureconversation.

Paul

--
Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: WS-Security and Synapse

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi Anthony,

> [...]

>           <wsu:Expires>2007-10-15T21:41:59.163Z</wsu:Expires>
>         </wsu:Timestamp>
>         <wsse:UsernameToken
> xmlns:wsu="
> http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-wssecurity-utility-1.0.xsd
> "
>
>                             wsu:Id="UsernameToken-30318493">
>           <wsse:Username>bgilbert</wsse:Username>
>           <wsse:Password
> Type="
> http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-username-token-profile-1.0#PasswordText
> ">x</wsse:Password>
>         </wsse:UsernameToken>
>       </wsse:Security>
>     </soapenv:Header>
>     <soapenv:Body>
>       <GetVehicleInformationRequest
> xmlns="urn:toyota-co-nz:vehicle:vehicle-info-request-1.0.0
> "><Registration>rav4</Registration></GetVehicleInformationRequest>

Ruwan Linton