Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com> on 2015/03/27 16:51:28 UTC

SVGDOMImplementation vs. 1.8?

Batik 1.8 seems to have removed the
org.apache.batik.dom.svg.SVGDOMImplementation class, whereas this class
is present in 1.7.

Yet the Batik site itself provides examples using this class.

So what's the story here?

I ask as I am trying to move to Batik 1.8, but we have a class which is
using SVGDOMImplementation (for its SVG_NAMESPACE_URI constant and its
getDOMImplementation() method) and thus cannot currently move to 1.8.

I am mystified as to how I am supposed to be able to move to 1.8 -- and
why this API change is not clearly noted in the release notes.

--
Jess Holle

Re: SVGDOMImplementation vs. 1.8?

Posted by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>.
One additional note:

Modularity is good, but....

I find the number of Batik jars confusing enough that for runtime usage
I just include them all.

For build/compilation purposes I'd due the same if I could use
wildcards, but in the case of many types of tooling (e.g. typical Ant
usage) you end up having to list each jar individually -- at which point
I end up adding exactly what I need to get things to build.  It's not
that I /want/ to express this granularity of dependency, though -- I'd
rather just express a dependency on "batik" and be done.

--
Jess Holle

Posted by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>.

Posted by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>.

Posted by Robert Marcano <ro...@marcanoonline.com>.

Posted by Luis Bernardo <lm...@gmail.com>.
The class was not removed but moved to a different package
(o.a.batik.anim.dom). The reason was
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BATIK-1098, which has been fixed
in 1.8. The option was either to aggregate some jars or to move some
classes to different packages and the latter was chosen.