Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Kiran Ayyagari <ay...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/02 18:56:22 UTC

Re: Apache DS

hi Sambi

    Am sending the reply to users@d.a.o for the below mail you sent to me, cause MLs are searchable and other users who
    are having a similar question can get the answer by searching

skolagotla@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi Kiran,
>
> I 'am planning to use Apache
> DS in one of my production application,

this is great, if you get sometime please add a brief description here
http://directory.apache.org/community%26resources/testimonies.html we appreciate your input

  can you tell me when Apache DS
> 2.0 is scheduled for release ??

sorry, can't say, cause we don't know, however we are trying to get that version as soon as possible
keep watching the ML :)
> Sambi

thanks
--
Kiran Ayyagari

Re: Apache DS

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
>  can you tell me when Apache DS
>>
>> 2.0 is scheduled for release ??

It's important to understand how OSS isdriven. We don't have sale
persons who oversell a product, promising a date they don't have any
idea if it can be met, but having enough level of management to put
high pressure on developpers to get it done (or not, it depends) for
the expected date.
All the people working on the project are volunteers. We do our best,
and time is the only element we don't masterize. It has some
advantages, though : we don't have pressure to get a bad version, full
of bugs, out, just to get a client pay a few hundred of thousands $,
and we can differ it until we are confident the product is 'good
enough'.

So we just deliver a product, when it's ready. The usual answer to
such a question ("when will the XXX version be released") is typically
: "When it will be ready".

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com