Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Daniel P. Brown" <da...@parasane.com> on 2006/04/11 19:26:01 UTC

[users@httpd] Question about graphic-only servers....

    Hey, gang, this is my first post to the list (though I've been an
Apache user for over a decade now).  My question to the experts in the
field is relatively simple, but I'd like to get some insight from a
group instead of relying on my own [humble lack of] knowledge before
making the recommendation to my client.  First, the scenario:

    My predominant expertise is in database-driven websites --- a
good-ol' LAMP setup.  I not only sell dedicated servers out of my local
datacenter, but also administer them - and most are load-balanced
clusters of two to six servers each.  This type of work isn't a problem
for me, but instead a simpler, more 1992-esque problem puzzles me a bit.

    One of my customers is using a load-balanced set of four servers.
One server is fully-capable of handling the MySQL databases and PHP
webpages with no problems at all.  However, he has three additional
servers so far, all 100Mbps unmetered, for large graphic distribution
using randomized load-balancing handled by PHP.  Things went well for a
while, and the servers handled the requests promptly and fully.
However, the traffic has increased quite a bit, and this weekend we're
expecting it to increase as much as tenfold.

    What would be our best option for ensuring the GRAPHIC servers can
handle this drastic increase in traffic?

    Should we....

          .... add another server to the cluster?
          .... double the RAM on each 2.0GHz Dual Xeon from 2GB to 4GB
(the maximum)?
          .... upgrade to faster CPU's?
          .... give up all hope and pack it in, then worship the old
Boo.com website and it's brilliant decisions?

    Thanks, all.  I'm looking forward to reading your responses.

--
Daniel P. Brown
Chief Forensic Investigator, Founder

Re: [users@httpd] Question about graphic-only servers....