Posted to dev@royale.apache.org by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org> on 2020/01/03 17:50:24 UTC

About Jewel Table component

Hi,

one of the things for 1.0 was ensuring APIs are ok.
When I created Jewel Table I left with API methods I was not happy
"selectedItem"/"selectedItemProperty"or comment
I found now the time to revisit the component and right now I don't see the
reason I didn't like it at that time.

Maybe people will end using new Jewel DataGrid, although seems Table can
have as well some interesting uses.
Don't know, I really didn't need to use it in a real app for now.

Can others share his experience?
Should we left the component as is?
Some issues with that component or comments about it?

I just updated the TDJ example to remove the "Work In Progress" warning.
My intention is left the component in its current way, but depend of others
comment to finish my decision

Thanks! :)

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: About Jewel Table component

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Yishay,

El dom., 5 ene. 2020 a las 12:39, Yishay Weiss (<yi...@hotmail.com>)
escribió:

> Piotr knows more about this than I do, but again, I’m not sure we are the
> right people to ask because we’ve been using it as a Grid replacement so
> what we actually need is the DataGrid API. What’s your issue with
> selectedItem/selectedProperty? The fact that these refer to cells rather
> than rows is probably a feature because that’s what distinguishes it from
> Grid.

I'm starting lo see it that way. I remember left the component to do other
urgent work, and at that time my feeling was that the API was not ok.
Maybe was due to me going as fast as possible from coding that to the other
tasks. Now revisiting the component seems to me almost ok...or nothing is
making me feel unconfortable with the API, and don't remember the reasons I
had at that time.

Anyway, all experience reported by you and Piotr is welcomed to know more.

I think this component has some useful features like the HTML/table layout,
the colapsan/rowspan feature and the header label alignments. Of course is
very oriented to the HTML world ;)

Thanks!

Posted by Yishay Weiss <yi...@hotmail.com>.
Piotr knows more about this than I do, but again, I’m not sure we are the right people to ask because we’ve been using it as a Grid replacement so what we actually need is the DataGrid API. What’s your issue with selectedItem/selectedProperty? The fact that these refer to cells rather than rows is probably a feature because that’s what distinguishes it from Grid.

"selectedItem"/"selectedItemProperty"), I'm thinking to left it as is.
Maybe DataGrid could be ok for some cases, but Table has some other
advantages too.
thanks

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Thanks Yishay,