Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Marek Dominiak <is...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/26 16:49:34 UTC

Redelivery policy concerns / questions (conumer based vs broker redelivery)

Hi guys,

I would like to clarify my understanding of redelivery policy types and
different ways of configuring them.

Questions:
1. Is my only option to set redelivery policy per destination basis is to
set it on the connection itself? (for blocking redelivery)

2. Can the broker redelivery be configured to be blocking? (maintaining the
processing order of messages in the queue)

3. If consumer based redelivery policy is defined on the connection for a
queue A and at the same time broker redelivery is set for this queue, which
one will be used? The consumer based or maybe broker based? Or both?

4. If I were to set redelivery policy on the connection itself - can I set
many different redelivery policy entries for different destination? I could
use this to set all redelivery policy entries in a ActiveMQConnection taken
from PooledConnection to be able to use PooledConnectionFactory instead of
ActiveMQConnectionFactory. Or should I rather use ActiveMQConnectionFactory
instead of PooledConnectionFactory (e.g. with Spring DMLC extension)?

5. If I were to set the redelivery policy on the connection and at the same
time configure AbortSlowAckConsumerStrategy in activemq.xml with
“abortConnection” set to true,  (how) can I control how (which) redelivery
policy is set on the new connection (after the connection has been aborted)?

>From my tests I could see that despite the fact that my
ActiveMQConnectionFactory has the default redelivery policy set in the url
parameters (
failover:(tcp://localhost:61616)?jms.redeliveryPolicy.maximumRedeliveries=0
) and the aborted connection had maximumRedeliveries set to 1 the new
connection got the default redelivery policy (6 redeliveries).

<slowConsumerStrategy>
<abortSlowAckConsumerStrategy ignoreIdleConsumers="false"
checkPeriod="60000" maxTimeSinceLastAck="600000" abortConnection="true"/>
</slowConsumerStrategy>

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in the advance.

Regards