Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Rolf Kulemann <ma...@rolf-kulemann.com> on 2003/10/23 21:12:12 UTC

WYSIWYG editing and cutomizing default publication

Hello List,

I'm quite new to Lenya but really familiar with Cocoon. I have built and
compiled Lenya and got it working (more or less) on my system.
While checking out the shipped examples and trying to "customize" the
default publication I ran into some trouble. I already tried to dig in
the sources and I got first impressions of Lenya's architecture and how
it is build. I'm excited!
I also read some recent postings in the list, but I still feel that I
have to ask some questions.

1.) Editing with the form editor does not work as "expected" ("Promised"
on Lenya homepage). In the default publication you can only edit some dc
meta data. You can not edit body text. Other publications were also not
able to convince me, that there is a "form editing" interface. I tried
to extend the form editing with changing files like
lenya/lenya/pubs/default/lenya/xslt/formeditor/simple.xsl and got a
quite good solution and an impression how Lenya is working in terms of
form editing.

My opinion is, one has to setup its own "document type specific" form
editing (i.e. for simple-document). There is no out of the box support
for form based editing not even in the default publication.

2.) Using bxeng. Bxeng is alpha software and not really useful at the
moment. The old version seems to be really useful, but does not work
"out of the box" with Lenya. A problem with the current bxeng editor is,
that Lenya does not support the xml schema checks done by bxeng while
saving changes. I commented out some java script statements in bxeng
sources in order to get a look at it.

3.) Using xopus. I was not able to download a free xopus version. Is it
commercial software? How do other users WYSIWYG edit content?

4.) Customize default publication. I tried to customize the navigation
of the default site. I wanted to remove some nav items. So I removed
some dirs and corresponding entries in default/content/authoring and
default/content/authoring/sitetree.xmap. The entries disappeared as
expected from the site navigation. But, if I try to publish pages still
available I get a stack trace saying that document [null] can not be
transformed. It seems after removing entries from above dir and file,
the publishing of files isn't working anymore. I could not figure out
the problem. Even if I copy back the removed dir to
default/content/authoring and reverting changes in sitetree.xmap it
isn't working anymore. Deleting lenya cache from tomcats work dir didn't
change anything.

How do you remove navigation entries without breaking publishing
function?

Is there a document out there describing how to set up a publication
from scratch or by customizing an existing publication?

Sorry for that long email. Maybe I had all the problems, because of a
wrong Lenya setup.

Don't understand me wrong, I like Lenya very much and I think it is
great web technology. Thanks to all developers and contributors.

Sorry, that I didn't sent stack traces. I will do it in my next
postings.

--
Rolf Kulemann

Living in LA is like not having a date on Saturday night.
		-- Candice Bergen

PGP/GPG public key:
	 http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x6B4EA7EA

Re: WYSIWYG editing and cutomizing default publication

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

>> 2.) Using bxeng. Bxeng is alpha software and not really useful at the
>> moment.
>
> The CSS re the layout needs more polishing

Yesterday I changed the BXE to a usecase and added the
proper CSS. It works quite good with XHTML, but has some
problems with the simple document type. We have to invest
some more work.

-- Andreas

Re: WYSIWYG editing and cutomizing default publication

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Rolf Kulemann wrote:

<snip />

> 1.) Editing with the form editor does not work as "expected" ("Promised"
> on Lenya homepage). In the default publication you can only edit some dc
> meta data. You can not edit body text. Other publications were also not
> able to convince me, that there is a "form editing" interface. I tried
> to extend the form editing with changing files like
> lenya/lenya/pubs/default/lenya/xslt/formeditor/simple.xsl and got a
> quite good solution and an impression how Lenya is working in terms of
> form editing.
>
> My opinion is, one has to setup its own "document type specific" form
> editing (i.e. for simple-document). There is no out of the box support
> for form based editing not even in the default publication.

take a look at the "blog" publication, e.g.

http://127.0.0.1:8080/lenya/blog/authoring/entries/2001/07/07/vanya/index.html

or the "oscom" publication, e.g.

http://127.0.0.1:8080/lenya/oscom/authoring/matrix/lenya.html

(I just checked in some more "polished stuff", so maybe you can do a CVS
update)

The doctypes and samples of the default publication need more polishing ...

> 2.) Using bxeng. Bxeng is alpha software and not really useful at the
> moment.

The CSS re the layout needs more polishing

  The old version seems to be really useful, but does not work
> "out of the box" with Lenya. A problem with the current bxeng editor is,
> that Lenya does not support the xml schema checks done by bxeng while
> saving changes.

because the relaxng of the verious doctypes has not been done yet and is
missing at the moment. But BXE does support it.

  I commented out some java script statements in bxeng
> sources in order to get a look at it.
>
> 3.) Using xopus. I was not able to download a free xopus version. Is it
> commercial software?

yes, it became proprietary again

How do other users WYSIWYG edit content?

Either people buy Xopus or live with the existing BXE.
I think Stefano's linotype editor (based on Midas) is very nicely done,
especially the image upload feature is great, but unfortunately it does
"only" support xhtml. I hope we can integrate it into Lenya nevertheless
  as soon as possible. I think it would make a lot of sense within the
default publication for instance.

HTH

Michi

--