Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Vinod Venkatraman <vi...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/01 15:11:56 UTC

Journaled jdbc persistence and broker restarts

HI All,

I am using AMQ 4.1.1 with journaled jdbc persistence (which I gather is the
fastest form of persistence in 4.1.1)

I observe that when I have around 100K messages (each of size 100KB) queued
up and I try to stop the broker using a ^C it takes more then one hr to
stop. During this time, AMQ is constantly comsuming CPU.

Now if I kill AMQ during this time and then try to bring it back up, it
takes another hr to queue the 100K messages back into the queue.

This is a serious issue for us because we have slow consumers and hence the
queue is bound to grow rapidly and we need to retain messages across broker
restarts. Any help is appreciated.

Following is the configuration and AMQ logs for these operations :

Config :
<beans>

  <!-- Allows us to use system properties as variables in this configuration
file -->
  <bean
class="org.springframework.beans.factory.config.PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer"/>

    <broker brokerName="broker_vinod_server" useJmx="true" persistent="true"
xmlns="http://activemq.org/config/1.0">
    <!-- Use the following to configure how ActiveMQ is exposed in JMX -->
    <managementContext>
       <managementContext connectorPort="1099"
jmxDomainName="org.apache.activemq1"/>
    </managementContext>

	<persistenceAdapter>
        <journaledJDBC journalLogFiles="5"
dataDirectory="${activemq.base}/../journal-backup/activemq-data/broker1_slave"/>

    </persistenceAdapter>

    <destinations>
        <queue physicalName="sy.attribTestQ"/>
    </destinations>

    <transportConnectors>
       <transportConnector name="openwire" uri="tcp://localhost:61616"
discoveryUri="multicast://default"/>
    </transportConnectors>

    <networkConnectors>
      <networkConnector name="default-nc" dynamicOnly="true"
uri="multicast://default" networkTTL="3000"/>
    </networkConnectors>

  </broker>
</beans>

Logs: