Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Nicolas Mailhot <Ni...@laposte.net> on 2002/05/02 09:59:25 UTC

Re: Fwd: Re: [JPackage-devel] RE: RPMs

Le mar 30/04/2002 à 17:50, Stefan Bodewig a écrit :
> On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Guillaume Rousse <ro...@ccr.jussieu.fr> wrote:
>
> > Well, i you really want the scripts working the same, you could
> > change ant original one to use the same env var as we do.
>
> Two words, one phrase: backwards compatibility.
>
> > We can't do the apposite, as we expect those env vars to be used for
> > all our wrapper scripts, and and i don't think ANT_WHATEVER would
> > make any sense in a .argoumlrc pref file...
>
> But you define them in separate files anyway as you will probably
> never find a single option to put into ADDITIONAL_OPTIONS that would
> apply to all java programs you wanted to run.
>
> I'm afraid we won't get together here.

Well, the best effect of Guillaume's setup IMHO is that you can define
these env vars once, override them only in the confs you care about, and
everything will still work. Plus it makes maintenance easier.

How about letting Guillaume change the env vars used by ant script
internally so that they match jpackages, and convert old ant env vars to
new ones ar script start if rpmmode=false ?

This way everyone is happy, our script codes are closer and backwards
compatibility is saved. (I won't do it myself since I think Guillaume
groks better the puprose of the env vars jpackage uses)

(btw I think there was a huge time lag on some of your answers, sorry if
I was late replying:(

Nicolas Mailhot

Re: Fwd: Re: [JPackage-devel] RE: RPMs

Posted by Guillaume Rousse <ro...@ccr.jussieu.fr>.
Ainsi parlait Jeudi 2 Mai 2002 11:34, Stefan Bodewig :
> On 02 May 2002, Nicolas Mailhot <Ni...@laposte.net> wrote:
> > How about letting Guillaume change the env vars used by ant script
> > internally so that they match jpackages, and convert old ant env
> > vars to new ones ar script start if rpmmode=false ?
>
> Sounds good.
So you'll have to wait a bit, as i'm currently trying to focus on what i'm
supposed to do. Just following this discussion is quite difficult for me
currently, so i only fixed sofar urgent problems (see last ant release
changelog). I'll try to have a look this WE.

I just remind java-function library is available in our CVS here
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/jpackage/jpackage-utils and
all jpackage members have commit right...

> > (btw I think there was a huge time lag on some of your answers,
> > sorry if I was late replying:(
>
> I think this is mostly due to me doing far more things than I should
> at the same time, sorry.
And me trying to stop doing the same :-)
--
Guillaume Rousse <ro...@ccr.jussieu.fr>
GPG key http://lis.snv.jussieu.fr/~rousse/gpgkey.html

Re: Fwd: Re: [JPackage-devel] RE: RPMs

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 02 May 2002, Nicolas Mailhot <Ni...@laposte.net> wrote:

> How about letting Guillaume change the env vars used by ant script
> internally so that they match jpackages, and convert old ant env
> vars to new ones ar script start if rpmmode=false ?

Sounds good.

> (btw I think there was a huge time lag on some of your answers,
> sorry if I was late replying:(

I think this is mostly due to me doing far more things than I should
at the same time, sorry.

Stefan