Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Mueller, Carl" <ca...@medtronic.com> on 2005/04/08 22:22:30 UTC

Re: Servlet File Download dialog problem (IE6,Adobe 6.0)

http://mail-archives.eu.apache.org/mod_mbox/xmlgraphics-fop-users/200311.mbox/%3C20031130020449.37889.qmail@web20804.mail.yahoo.com%3E

It was a year and a half ago, but...

I just wrassled with this junk, and in order to stream a pdf from a servlet with IE6, I had to:

1) return a page with an <EMBED> tag (<OBJECT> did not work)
2) the url of the <EMBED> tag had to end in a .pdf, as in:

http://someserver.com/servletname/dummy.pdf

this required a servlet-mapping for servletname/* in the web.xml so the servlet engine would ignore the dummy.pdf at the end and still hand off the request to servlet "servletname"

Doing this, as your email said, wasn't good enough:

http://someserver.com/servletname?x=dummy.pdf

I think the acrobat plugin strips all the http arguments, and loses track of the mime type, and so it needs an actual requested document in the url so that it can work off of the file extension.

can someone please append this to the thread in the first link of this email? there was no way for me to append it myself, and this thread was actually very informative to this one pain-in-the-ass problem.

Thanks!

Re: Servlet File Download dialog problem (IE6,Adobe 6.0)

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. Unfortunately, there's no
way to do what you suggest. A better solution would be if you guys wrote
a Wiki page [1] where you can gather all the knowledge along with
pointers to mailing list archives and such. You could simply add a new
page under the HowTos. In time we can integrate this information into
the main website.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/FrontPage

On 08.04.2005 22:22:30 Mueller, Carl wrote:
> http://mail-archives.eu.apache.org/mod_mbox/xmlgraphics-fop-users/200311.mbox/%3C20031130020449.37889.qmail@web20804.mail.yahoo.com%3E
>
> It was a year and a half ago, but...
>
> I just wrassled with this junk, and in order to stream a pdf from a servlet with IE6, I had to:
>
> 1) return a page with an <EMBED> tag (<OBJECT> did not work)
> 2) the url of the <EMBED> tag had to end in a .pdf, as in:
>
> http://someserver.com/servletname/dummy.pdf
>
> this required a servlet-mapping for servletname/* in the web.xml so the
> servlet engine would ignore the dummy.pdf at the end and still hand off
> the request to servlet "servletname"
>
> Doing this, as your email said, wasn't good enough:
>
> http://someserver.com/servletname?x=dummy.pdf
>
> I think the acrobat plugin strips all the http arguments, and loses
> track of the mime type, and so it needs an actual requested document in
> the url so that it can work off of the file extension.
>
> can someone please append this to the thread in the first link of this
> email? there was no way for me to append it myself, and this thread was
> actually very informative to this one pain-in-the-ass problem.
>
> Thanks!

Jeremias Maerki