Posted to dev@usergrid.apache.org by Rod Simpson <ro...@rodsimpson.com> on 2014/03/27 19:44:33 UTC

Usergrid marketing message

All,

I am wondering if we should tweak our marketing message a little bit (looking for help from Tim especially!).  We currently say this at the top of the site:

"Designed for multi-tenancy & operational predictability. Built on Java 7, Jersey & Apache Cassandra, with SDKs for iOS, Android, HTML5/JS, node.js, Ruby, Java, .NET, PHP — and so much more. Open source since 2011.”

Which to me sounds great, but i’m not sure if it really sends the right message.  It seems like there are really two market segments who might be interested in running Usergrid:

1. Lone developers or small to medium dev shops who want to run a single-tenant API to build their mobile / web app against.
2. Large enterprise customers who want to run a multi-tenant BaaS

I would further argue that in order for us to succeed at 2, we need to embrace 1 and make it a really awesome experience (we are already talking about solving barrier to entry problem on the other thread).

So back to the marketing message.  If it is true that 2 will follow 1 (e.b. lots of lone devs and small shops adopting us as the defacto mobile platform will cause the Rackspaces and Hostgators of the world to want to offer hosted UG solutions), then should we focus a bit more on 1?  Should we rework the message to paint ourselves as a solution in that light?

"A scalable API in a box, that is easy to install, suitable for small to large development shops, allowing you to build mobile apps in record speed and support them when they go viral.”

Obviously I’m not a marketing guy so that needs work.  But the basic message is that UG is for everyone, not just big enterprise companies that want to run a BaaS.

In fact, is BaaS even the right acronym?  Usergrid is the the LAMP stack of the mobile world.  BaaS sounds like a big thing that enterprise companies install, not something that lone developers and small shops should use.

Thoughts?

--
Rod Simpson
@rockerston

Re: Usergrid marketing message

Posted by Ed Anuff <ed...@anuff.com>.
Is the idea that we want to replace or precede the "Designed for
multi-tenancy & operational predictability..." with something that
describes what a BaaS is good for?

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
Another idea: The BaaS you run on your own infrastructure

- Dave

Posted by Rod Simpson <ro...@rodsimpson.com>.

Posted by Shawn Feldman <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by George Reyes <gr...@apigee.com>.
I liked "The BaaS Framework that you control" . Gives the users a feeling
of certainty that they can use UG however they need to use it.

-George

Posted by Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org>.
Hey Rod

Posted by Rod Simpson <ro...@rodsimpson.com>.

Posted by Rod Simpson <ro...@rodsimpson.com>.

Posted by Ed Anuff <ed...@anuff.com>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

--
Best Regards,
-- Alex

Re: Usergrid marketing message

Posted by Scott Ganyo <sc...@ganyo.com>.
Brainstorming...

“Write an app, not a server."

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rod Simpson <ro...@rodsimpson.com>.
Ed, Tim, (and anyone else) can you chime in and help us craft a suitable marketing message?

"A scalable API in a box, that is easy to install, suitable for small to large development shops, allowing you to build mobile apps in record time and support them when they go viral.”

"For front-end developers, it aims to simplify the development process by enabling them to rapidly build and operate mobile and web applications without requiring backend expertise.”

Lieven,

Thanks for chiming in.  I agree that this statement is inaccurate and should be changed:

'enabling access to legacy backend systems via a REST API'

--
Rod Simpson
@rockerston

On March 30, 2014 at 1:44:04 PM, Lieven Govaerts (lgo@apache.org) wrote:

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 7:44 PM, Rod Simpson <ro...@rodsimpson.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> I am wondering if we should tweak our marketing message a little bit (looking for help from Tim especially!). We currently say this at the top of the site:
>
> "Designed for multi-tenancy & operational predictability. Built on Java 7, Jersey & Apache Cassandra, with SDKs for iOS, Android, HTML5/JS, node.js, Ruby, Java, .NET, PHP -- and so much more. Open source since 2011."
>
> Which to me sounds great, but i'm not sure if it really sends the right message. It seems like there are really two market segments who might be interested in running Usergrid:
>
> 1. Lone developers or small to medium dev shops who want to run a single-tenant API to build their mobile / web app against.
> 2. Large enterprise customers who want to run a multi-tenant BaaS

I'd count myself in your first group of interested people, and I can
confirm that to me the header on the usergrid website does not explain
correctly why I would be interested in UserGrid.

The original incubator proposal explains this much clearer:
" For front-end developers, it aims to simplify the development
process by enabling them to rapidly build and operate mobile and web
applications without requiring backend expertise."

Another message that I find missing, is the 'enabling access to legacy
backend systems via a REST API' (...). Or is this the value added by
Apigee's offering on top of UserGrid? I'm asking because it isn't
clear to me how the integration between UserGrid and backend systems
work, if at all possible.

Lieven

Posted by Lieven Govaerts <lg...@apache.org>.