Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca> on 2000/12/12 22:12:03 UTC

Order deny,allow,help,me,please

I'm just looking over mod_access.html to see if it can be improved,
and I'm wondering, what is the point of the Order directive anyway?  Why
doesn't Apache just evaluate each "allow" or "deny" in the order in which
they appear in the config file?

The Order directive seems to be a constant point of confusion for users,
and I'm wondering if it could be eliminated in 2.0 in favour of evaluating
everything in config-file order.  Is there a flaw in my logic somplace?

Joshua.

Re: Order deny,allow,help,me,please

Posted by Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca>.
On Tue, 12 Dec 2000 rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> This would break a lot of working installations, and it increases the
> order dependance in Apache.  IMHO that would be a bad thing.

Yah, this would be a bad idea because it would be hard to determine what
would happen with a mixture of Allows/Denys in .htacces/<location>/etc.
I'll just try to clarify the docs a little with a couple extra examples.

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
> I'm just looking over mod_access.html to see if it can be improved,
> and I'm wondering, what is the point of the Order directive anyway?  Why
> doesn't Apache just evaluate each "allow" or "deny" in the order in which
> they appear in the config file?
>
> The Order directive seems to be a constant point of confusion for users,
> and I'm wondering if it could be eliminated in 2.0 in favour of evaluating
> everything in config-file order.  Is there a flaw in my logic somplace?

This would break a lot of working installations, and it increases the
order dependance in Apache.  IMHO that would be a bad thing.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131