Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Oleg Sukhoroslov <ol...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/05 11:06:35 UTC

Scheduler questions

Hi,

We have a Hadoop cluster which is used by many users (students)
competing for resources.
We would like to prioritize jobs based on resource usage history per user.
Such functionality is common among classic HPC schedulers, e.g.
http://docs.adaptivecomputing.com/suite/8-0-1/enterprise/help.htm#topics/moabWorkloadManager/topics/fairness/6.3fairshare.html

AFAIK, the FairShareScheduler takes into account only current resource
usage.
Are there any plans or ongoing efforts to implement fair share
scheduling based on resource usage history?

A similar question regarding limiting job resource usage in a similar
fashion as in classical HPC clusters.
Are there any plans to support specifying and enforcing limits on total
cpu time per job or task?

Thanks a lot

-- Oleg