Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by GOMEZ Henri <hg...@slib.fr> on 2001/06/29 09:41:52 UTC

[Tomcat Documentation Redactors To Hire] - WAS: TOMCAT SUCKS

>	Not to get into a great big argument over OS version commercial
>products, but if OS projects expect to be taken with the same
>consideration
>as commercial they have to accept to be compared across the board. This
>includes documentation. You can't just pick and choose the
>battles you want
>to fight.

Could we close this thread positively ?

We all know that tomcat documentation is incomplete and we need help
in that area.

Tomcat IS AN OPENSOURCE project with a big user community,
Jon Stevens recently reported more than 50-100k downloads / month.

Everybody could be involved in the project, and not necessary
developpers. I'm sure there is around potentials documentation
redactors.

So who will be interested in working on the Tomcat Documentation ?

Re: [Tomcat Documentation Redactors]

Posted by Simon Brooke <si...@beesianum.jasmine.org.uk>.
On Friday 29 June 2001 15:34, Milt Epstein wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Simon Brooke wrote:
> > Two ways we could go - the 'Tutorial' or 'User Manual' route which
> > might go something like
> >
> > 	Introduction
> > 	Overview
> > 	Downloading and Installing
> > 	Configuring
> > 		Integration with Apache
> > 		Integration with IIS
> > 	Deploying Webapps
> > 	Advanced Administration
> > 		Load balancing
> > 		Performance tuning
> > 	Hacker's Guide
>
> As has been said, there is the "tomcat book" effort at sourceforge,
> and it would be silly to take on a parallel effort to that.  The URL
> for that is either
>
> http://tomcatbook.sourceforge.net
>
> or
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/tomcatbook/
>
> I think the working TOC there is very similar to what you have above.
> There may not currently be all that much stuff there yet --

OK, to get hold of what is:

CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@cvs.tomcatbook.sourceforge.net:2401/cvsroot/tomcatbook
cvs login
cvs checkout tcguide

As far as I can see there are only two chapters currently in the CVS,
namely

gododdin:~/tmp/tcguide$ find . -name *.xml
./AdvConfig/advconfig.xml
./iPlanet/iplanet.xml

They are marked up in DocBook and at superficial reading seem well
structured and well written.

			-- mens vacua in medio vacuo --

Re: [Tomcat Documentation Redactors]

Posted by Frans Thamura <ft...@yahoo.com>.
That project is not work well??? I cannot download the pdf or html file

Frans

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Simon Brooke wrote:

> On Friday 29 June 2001 08:41, you wrote:
> > >	Not to get into a great big argument over OS version commercial
> > >products, but if OS projects expect to be taken with the same
> > >consideration
> > >as commercial they have to accept to be compared across the board.
> > > This includes documentation. You can't just pick and choose the
> > >battles you want
> > >to fight.
> >
> > Could we close this thread positively ?
> >
> > We all know that tomcat documentation is incomplete and we need help
> > in that area.
>
> This is a good idea. I don't know how much I would be able to
> contribute, because there must be plenty of people with more expertise
> than I have. However, If someone could draft a 'contents', then
> probably different people could pick different aspects and write about
> them, in which case I could probably contribute something useful about
> installing and configuring webapps.
>
> Two ways we could go - the 'Tutorial' or 'User Manual' route which
> might go something like
>
> 	Introduction
> 	Overview
> 	Downloading and Installing
> 	Configuring
> 		Integration with Apache
> 		Integration with IIS
> 	Deploying Webapps
> 	Advanced Administration
> 		Load balancing
> 		Performance tuning
> 	Hacker's Guide
[ ... ]

Posted by Simon Brooke <si...@beesianum.jasmine.org.uk>.
On Friday 29 June 2001 08:41, you wrote:
> >	Not to get into a great big argument over OS version commercial
> >products, but if OS projects expect to be taken with the same
> >consideration
> >as commercial they have to accept to be compared across the board.
> > This includes documentation. You can't just pick and choose the
> >battles you want
> >to fight.
>
> Could we close this thread positively ?
>
> We all know that tomcat documentation is incomplete and we need help
> in that area.

This is a good idea. I don't know how much I would be able to
contribute, because there must be plenty of people with more expertise
than I have. However, If someone could draft a 'contents', then
probably different people could pick different aspects and write about
them, in which case I could probably contribute something useful about
installing and configuring webapps.

Two ways we could go - the 'Tutorial' or 'User Manual' route which
might go something like

	Introduction
	Overview
	Downloading and Installing
	Configuring
		Integration with Apache
		Integration with IIS
	Deploying Webapps
	Advanced Administration
		Load balancing
		Performance tuning
	Hacker's Guide

Or else we could as a set of HOWTOs. On the whole I prefer the HOWTO
approach because

	It needs less central co-ordination and administration
	It needs less editing - one doesn't need so much consistency
		of style
	It's easier to find the specific bit of documentation you need
	It's task and solution oriented.

			-- mens vacua in medio vacuo --

Re: [Tomcat Documentation Redactors To Hire] - WAS: TOMCAT SUCKS

Posted by Julien Gilli <da...@bigfoot.com>.
> So who will be interested in working on the Tomcat Documentation ?

I am highly interested. I am writing a french tutorial about servlets (which
can be found at http://darktigrou.free.fr/). It's a work in progress.
I am also involved in the french python translation group
(http://frpython.sourceforge.net/) and i love docs :-).
So please let me know if this idea get into a real project.

Regards,

Julien Gilli.

Re: [Tomcat Documentation Redactors To Hire] - WAS: TOMCAT SUCKS

Posted by Frans Thamura <ft...@yahoo.com>.
I think a commiter must create a draft article, explain tomcat, and there
will be a team, that will review, and ask that article, and may be several
of those articles have a comment.. see php manual in php.net

The team update the article, and after that. this like CVS for
documentation, and the documentation is focus in English first, and follow
with any other language.

Frans

Posted by Tim Stoop <t....@ehrmweb.nl>.

Posted by Roland Carlsson <ro...@swetravel.se>.
I can offer Swedish translation from the english texts. Please take contact on rolca@telia.com (private adress). Could be a nice way getting involved.

Regards
Roland Carlsson

Posted by Carlos Ferreira <ca...@gilem.com>.

Posted by Thomas Colin de Verdiere <td...@scort.com>.
Well,
i'd like to document JNIEndpoint, JNIEndpointConnector, jni in process
(for IIS)

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@ebuilt.com>.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@ebuilt.com>.

Posted by Alex Fernández <af...@tid.es>.
Hi Henri!

One suggestion: create a mailing list (e.g. tomcat-doc) so that folks
may speak about docs. Also, it would show some level of commitment -- at
least you have to subscribe.

Un saludo,

Alex.

Posted by Bo Xu <bo...@cybershop.ca>.
GOMEZ Henri wrote:

> [...]
> We all know that tomcat documentation is incomplete and we need help
> in that area.
>
> Tomcat IS AN OPENSOURCE project with a big user community,
> Jon Stevens recently reported more than 50-100k downloads / month.
>
> Everybody could be involved in the project, and not necessary
> developpers. I'm sure there is around potentials documentation
> redactors.
>
> So who will be interested in working on the Tomcat Documentation ?
> [...]

Hi :-)  if it is possible, I want to work for Tomcat Documentation :-)

Bo
June 29, 2001