Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> on 2013/12/26 06:00:37 UTC

HBASE-6104

HBASE-6104 introduced a feature developed and tested with JDK 7. Subsequent
to review and commit, two builds on ASF Jenkins began failing, the 0.98 on
Hadoop 1.1 build, and the trunk build. After chasing a red herring that
looked like a test only failure for a bit it seems the problem was deeper
and manifested on JDK 6. I have reverted the change, unscheduled the
feature from 0.98, and may return to it some time in the future after the
sting wears off. In the meantime, I have two suggestions:

1. We should set all of the primary builds like trunk and 0.98 on Hadoop
1.1 to use JDK 7, like the other builds. The inconsistent use of JDK/JRE
version will be an occasional source of confusion.

2. We should explicitly set up jobs that use JDK/JRE 6 and name them as
such.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: HBASE-6104

Posted by ramkrishna vasudevan <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1 to both.  Definitely troubleshooting such issues are more difficult and
this leading to a revert of an issue is painful.

Re: HBASE-6104

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
+1 to both suggestions.

Re: HBASE-6104

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
>From https://builds.apache.org/job/PreCommit-HBASE-Build/8283/consoleFull :

/usr/bin/java
java version "1.6.0_20"

/home/jenkins/tools/java/latest
java version "1.6.0_26"
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 20.1-b02, mixed mode)

Re: HBASE-6104

Posted by Nicolas Liochon <nk...@gmail.com>.
I've been bitten by this in the past as well. Our precommit env is specific
to hadoop. It launches a specific script, and this script overrides the
jenkins property (source ${WORKSPACE}/nightly/hudsonEnv.sh)
We don't own this script. May be we should just copy its content into the
jenkins shell parameter, but don't remember if there is an impact.
HBASE-8731 was about changing the script itself.

Re: HBASE-6104

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,