Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mohr James <ja...@elaxy.com> on 2002/03/13 10:11:35 UTC

Performance Problems with Tomcat

Greetings!

I have some extreme performance problems with Tomcat Version 3.2.1, JRE
1.3.1 on Win2000
with MIIS 4. Tomcat was provided with HP's OpenView Service Desk to provide
JSPs to the web
interface to the service calls. When we access certain pages that submit
queries to the database
the CPU and memory usage for the java.exe proceess go through the roof. CPU
uage is typically
above 90% and memory usage is at least 60-70MB  out of 128Mb. Eventually (20
minutes later)
I either get a message that the session has timed out or the page cannot be
displayed.

The machine is 500Mhz and the only things on the machine is MIIS, the
Service Desk application server
and tomcat. (Plus all the default NT stuff). When access the Service Desk
application server from the HP
client on the local machine or another one, performance is great. Since the
DB server is only being use for
this one purpose and only from this one test application server, no one else
uses it and I do not see any
performance problems. Further, when the problem occurs, the hard disk
rattles away like a machine gun,
which is another indication that the problem is with the app server, not the
database. We are accessing an
Oracle DB on another Win2K server using the oracle ODBC driver.

I have looked through the mailing list archives and found references that
say
"It's well known problem caused by memory leaks in javac," refering to
Tomcart 3.2.2a. If this is a
known problem, does it also apply to 3.2.1?

In the tomcat.bat file, I defined the heap like this:

set _RUNJAVA="%JAVA_HOME%\bin\java" -Xms8388608 -Xmx16777216

(At the time, I didn't not know you could specify it in Mb.) However, this
does not see to have any effect
as memory usage still goes to 70MB+. In the mailing list archive, there was
a reference to increasing the
stack size as well (-Xss). However, I could not find any mention of what I
should set it to.  Since setting
the  min/max memory does not seem to work the way I expect, I wasn't sure it
these parameters were
being recogzied at all. However, in desperation I tried  -Xss1m, with no
change.

I have looked throught the "Tomcat IIS HowTo", but did not find anything
that seem to fit the problem or
should/would have an effect.

I have called HP support and the basic response was "It shouldn't do that".
At least they were the ones
to tell me to increase the heap size. However, the problem continues.

I would be extremely grateful for any and all tips, pointers, hand-holding
and anything else people can provide.

Best Regards,

Jim Mohr

ELAXY Brokerage & Trading GmbH & Co KG
_________________________________
James Mohr
Team Manager Hotline
Am HofbrÀuhaus 1
96450 Coburg
Germany
Fon +49 (0) 95 61.55 43.0
Fax +49 (0) 95 61.55 43.302
E-Mail: james.mohr@elaxy.com
"Be more concerned with your character than with your
reputation. Your character is what you really are while
your reputation is merely what others thing you are." --
John Wooden