Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by "Beyene, Mehari" <me...@amazon.com.INVALID> on 2023/06/16 15:55:38 UTC

[VOTE] KIP-937: Improve Message Timestamp Validation

Hello everyone,

I am opening the Volte on KIP-937 here. If we have more to discuss, please continue the discussion on the existing thread at: https://lists.apache.org/thread/wdpw845q9f5rhf6tz9tdlx3kc1g5zczc

Thank you,
Mehari

Re: [VOTE] KIP-937: Improve Message Timestamp Validation

Posted by "Beyene, Mehari" <me...@amazon.com.INVALID>.
Hi all,

I would like thank you all of you for participating in the voting process. After being open for 11 days, we have received the necessary votes to proceed, and I am now closing the voting process. KIP-937 has been accepted with 3 binding votes from Luke Chen, Divij Vaidya, and Justine Olshan, along with 3 non-binding votes from Kirk True, Andrew Schofield, and Christo Lolov.

Posted by Justine Olshan <jo...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
Hey Mehari,
Yes. The KIP looks good to me. +1 (binding)

Justine

Posted by "Beyene, Mehari" <me...@amazon.com.INVALID>.
Hi Justine/All,

Posted by Christo Lolov <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding) from me as well! This is the type of problem which is
difficult to become aware of so the more guardrails we put into place the
better.

Posted by Justine Olshan <jo...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
Hey Mehari,
Thanks for the KIP. One minor change is now that we have the before and
after configs does this error make sense?

>  we will return error code 32 (INVALID_TIMESTAMP) with the error message
"Timestamp of the message with offset [record offset] is ahead of the
broker's current time."

I think maybe we should either say ahead/behind, or remove that aspect of
the message. Other than that, the change seems reasonable.
Given a clearer error, +1 from me (binding)

Thanks,
Justine

Posted by Andrew Schofield <an...@outlook.com>.
+1 (non-binding).