Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org> on 2022/01/07 00:00:46 UTC

Odd Ctrl-Shift-Alt Behavior

Hello, everyone,
I'm seeing some odd behavior related to the hidden Guacamole menu after
upgrading to 1.4.0. Basically, what I'm seeing is:
* Pressing Ctrl-Shift-Alt seems to require holding down Ctrl and Shift and
then pressing Alt. The menu is not as "responsive" in 1.4.0 as it was
previously.
* After pressing it to get the hidden menu, and then pressing it, again, to
hide the menu, I'm able to get the menu back pressing only Ctrl-Shift (no
Alt required).

Possibly related to this, the Ctrl-Alt-End hotkey seems broken.

Anyone else seeing any similar issues?

-Nick

Re: Odd Ctrl-Shift-Alt Behavior

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 12:56 PM Hankins, Jonathan <
jhankins@homewood.k12.al.us> wrote:

> Curious what your environments look like?

I'm connecting to Guacamole from a Linux-based laptop running XFCE for my
Window Manager. I use Chrome, though I should probably check and see if I
see any similar issues with Firefox. Chrome is also pending an update right
now, so would probably be good if I finally close out all of my tabs and
exit out for that update to run, just to make sure.

I haven't really had a chance to go back and see if I can identify what
commit started this behavior, so I'll still try to do that. I'm glad at
least one other person is seeing issues - at least lets me know I'm not
completely crazy :-).

It definitely seems to me that somehow tracking of the "Alt" key is getting
stuck somewhere...

Posted by "Hankins, Jonathan" <jh...@homewood.k12.al.us>.
I tried banging on this a bit and I can't reproduce what Nick and Fil John
are seeing. My environment is Win 10 (local) (Chrome browser) and a variety
of Windows versions inside the guacamole session, all over RDP. I tried
various things like:

Getting an Alt+key combo "pending" in another local window, focusing the
browser (mouse click - clears out the "pending" alt, as expected) and
trying the Ctrl+Alt+Shift.

Activating the Ctrl+Alt+Shift menu, then activating the WM popup with
Alt+Space, then Ctrl+Alt+Shift again (closes the WM menu AND closes the
guacamole menu)

Having an Alt+key combo "pending" inside the session (no effect on local,
activating guac menu takes focus away which clears the pending Alt in the
client).

Additionally, you would really have to work to make Sticky Keys in Win 10
cause something like the behavior you are seeing without beeping and
screeching at you.

I also tried quickly repeating the key combo, using various combinations of
left and right Ctrl/Alt/Shift keys, incomplete combos (missing one of the
keys), etc. and couldn't reproduce it.

I also tried playing around with the new tiled window feature and couldn't
break anything.

Notably, I am not seeing the delay that Nick mentioned.

The only strange thing I saw was this: in Chrome, do Ctrl+Alt+Shift to open
the guac menu, now you are focused in a way that you can do Alt-F to open
the Chrome "3 dots" menu (otherwise it passes through to the session). At
this point, you can't get the focus back in such a way that Ctrl+Alt+Shift
closes the guac menu OR passesANY keyboard input into the session, unless
you switch tabs and back again, or switch to a different application window
/ task bar (mouse click or alt-tab) and back to Chrome. This behavior
exists in 1.3.0 and probably isn't really a Guacamole issue. I have not
tested it in other browsers.

Curious what your environments look like?

--
Jonathan Hankins

Homewood City Schools

W: 205-877-4548

--
This e-mail is intended only for the recipient and may contain confidential
or proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient, the

Re: Odd Ctrl-Shift-Alt Behavior

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 7:17 PM Hankins, Jonathan <
jhankins@homewood.k12.al.us> wrote:

> Hey Nick, I am not seeing this. It sounds like Alt is "sticking" somehow
> though, almost like it's toggling instead of momentary. I have seen this in
> various situations with different remote desktop / web consoles / nested
> sessions / whatever over the years -- alt+tab and alt stays "pressed"
> inside the session. Curious if, when Ctrl-Alt-End doesn't work, if you do
> it again, does it work (i.e., 1st attempt "toggled" alt keypress off, so
> session actually receives all 3 the second attempt?).

Yeah, Jonathan, I think you're correct - it seems to be "toggling" it
somehow or another. I'll have to play around a bit more and see if I can
consistently reproduce the behavior, and maybe I'll do a "git bisect" and
try to track down where it changed. It's definitely slightly different
between 1.3.0 and 1.4.0 - something changed enough that my usage of it is
impacted.

Thanks for the data points!

Posted by "Hankins, Jonathan" <jh...@homewood.k12.al.us>.

--