Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2014/11/01 17:53:47 UTC

[all] PMD plugin 3.2 and False Positives for Unused Private Method

Hi

a few days ago Compress' pom was changed to use the newest PMD plugin
version 3.2, this one depends on PMD 5.1.2.  When I built the site
locally it claimed to find about ten instances of "unused private
functions" - all of them false positives.

Since the changelog of PMD 5.1.3 [1] lists at least three bugs about this
rule I upgraded the plugin to use it[2].  Unfortunately I still have two
false positives left.

The latest release of PMD is 5.2.0 but they've changed to maven
coordinates so I think there is no way to make the plugin use the newer
PMD to see whether it fixes anything - AFAIK I cannot exclude direct
dependencies of plugins in order to remove the original dependency.

Compress is now left with either ignoring the warnings or going back to
version 2.5.5 of the PMD plugin - unless anybody sees a different way.

This mail is in part a warning against version 3.2 of the plugin and in
part asking for help in case I am missing something.

[1] http://pmd.sourceforge.net/pmd-5.2.0/overview/changelog-old.html
[2] http://svn.apache.org/r1635934