Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Martijn Visser <ma...@apache.org> on 2022/05/09 10:27:58 UTC

[DISCUSS] Planning Flink 1.16 with the community

Hi everyone,

With Flink 1.15 released last week, we're starting with the next release
cycle for what will become Flink 1.16. As previously discussed [1] Chesnay,
Godfrey, Xingbo and myself have volunteered as release managers. We're
aiming to cut the release branch on the 25th of July. If needed, we can
delay this with a maximum of 2 weeks. We're aiming for a release of Flink
1.16 mid September 2022.

As we've done before, we would like to have a rough overview of new
features or major improvements that are planned and will likely be included
in this release. Please provide your FLIP, or (umbrella) Jira ticket in the
wiki page which you can find at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/1.16+Release.

Starting Tuesday the 17th of May we will start again with bi-weekly release
sync. This is scheduled for 9am CEST / 3pm China Standard Time / 7am UTC.
This meeting is to perform the following:

* Have a look at the Flink 1.16 progress from the wiki page (please update
this before the meeting).
* Discuss any blocker ticket that might occur who can help resolve this.
* Discuss build instability tickets that need to be followed-up.
* If there's a (new) contributor to get a PR reviewed or committed, we can
see who can help out unblocking the contributor.

One of the lessons learned during the Flink 1.15 release cycle was that
cross-team testing was done fairly late in the process, which delayed the
release. It would be good to make sure that these efforts are done as
quickly as possible.
This also applies to documentation: please make sure that your feature is
documented (either in regular documentation, the JavaDocs, inside the repo
in markdown or multiple). Don't start working on your next contribution if
the documentation hasn't been made available yet.

Please let us know what you think.

Best regards,

Chesnay, Godfrey, Xingbo and Martijn

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/ghfb5xdjy7tv0zqlrxvh3hcsc740w4ml

Re: [DISCUSS] Planning Flink 1.16 with the community

Posted by Martijn Visser <ma...@apache.org>.
We indeed set the July 25 deadline as a fixed deadline. We wanted to get
back in the quicker cadence of releasing.

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jing Ge <ji...@ververica.com>.

Posted by Martijn Visser <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.