Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Brian Deacon <br...@navelplace.com> on 2004/03/08 06:50:27 UTC

Build strangeness and file permissions

Greetings...

Running a clean build (went through all the usual permutations and it
doesn't seem to matter...)

Maven wants to put
geronimo-xmlbeans-plugin-DEV.jar
into my
/usr/share/maven/plugins

The build bugs out because I didn't have permissions to write to that
directory... Giving myself write permissions seems to have made the
build happy (at least it's busily crunching away right now).

Anywho... my question is... is it expected that the above file land in
maven's plugin land, or is this a script hiccup?

(Ah, build just finished... web console listening on 8080... so all
appears well.)

Pardon my maven ignorance or I'd try to hunt down the issue
myself... but is the xmlbeans plugin supposed to go out to maven, or
just stay inside the incubator-geronimo tree?

TIA,

Brian

Re: Build strangeness and file permissions

Posted by Brian Deacon <br...@navelplace.com>.
On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 11:46:06PM -0800, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
> Our build automatically installs generated plugins and jars into the
> shared directories (~maven/plugins and ~maven/repository respectively).
> My guess is the repository on your system is writable but the plugins
> directory is not.
>
> We do this as we don't have a release yet so are always running on HEAD
> - this is likely to change later. Until then you should just be able to
> make ~maven/plugins/geronimo-xmlbeans-plugin-DEV writable rather than
> the whole plugins directory.

Thanks, Jeremy.  Is this going to be around for a while?  I'm
wondering if a CurrentBuildIssues wiki page would be appropriate....

I'm guessing this is a *nix specific problem?  (Hmm... maybe distro
specific too...)

I take it this is the workaround for last month's workaround?  :)
(i.e., cd modules/maven-xmlbeans-plugin; maven rebuild; cd ../..;
maven rebuild)

Re: Build strangeness and file permissions

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <je...@coredevelopers.net>.

--
Jeremy