Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Bip Thelin <bi...@razorfish.com> on 2001/05/12 02:07:27 UTC

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/coreLocalStrings.properties StandardContextMapper.java

craigmcc@apache.org wrote:

> craigmcc    01/05/11 16:20:12
>
>   Modified:    catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/core
>                         LocalStrings.properties StandardContextMapper.java
>   Log:
>   Return error 400 if the user uses invalid characters (including %00 and
>   %7f) in a URI.  This fixes a security vulnerability, present in 4.0-b4,
>   that exposes JSP source code when you request:
>
>     http://localhost:8080/examples/jsp/num/numguess.jsp%00
>
> [...]

Shouldn't we post a security "hotfix" or cut a new beta release? This seems
like a pretty major security flaw.

	..bip

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 11 May 2001, Bip Thelin wrote:

> craigmcc@apache.org wrote:
> >
> > craigmcc    01/05/11 16:20:12
> >
> >   Modified:    catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/core
> >                         LocalStrings.properties StandardContextMapper.java
> >   Log:
> >   Return error 400 if the user uses invalid characters (including %00 and
> >   %7f) in a URI.  This fixes a security vulnerability, present in 4.0-b4,
> >   that exposes JSP source code when you request:
> >
> >     http://localhost:8080/examples/jsp/num/numguess.jsp%00
> >
> > [...]
>
> Shouldn't we post a security "hotfix" or cut a new beta release? This seems
> like a pretty major security flaw.

We will ... but this is not the only problem.  I pulled the downloadable
directory for beta 4.

> 	..bip

Craig