Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dean Searle <de...@computingoasis.com> on 2006/05/14 05:32:54 UTC

Weirdness with Tomcat 5.5.17, j_security_check and favicon.ico

Hello Everyone,

I have just installed a clean server with windows 2003 Standard, Java
JDK 1.5.0_06  and tomcat 5.5.17. I moved my application that I created
on tomcat 5.0 to this server and set the application up as a <host>
site.

When I access the site, it asks for the user name and password (normally
done). But after you are successfully authenticated, it goes to a 404
cannot find favicon.ico. So I googled and found that was an issue with
Firefox, so I tried IE and I can get into the application. But now, when
I put a favicon.ico in the applications root and I log in. With Firefox,
right after I log in, I get a page that displays my favicon.ico, but it
never gets to my index.jsp. I have to go to the url and delete the
/favicon.ico and hit enter and then I'm into the application. In IE,
after I log in, it takes me to my application, but it doesn't show the
favicon.ico in the address bar.

Has anyone else experienced this or could you point me to another
posting that shows how this was resolved. I thank you in advance for any
advice I can get.

Respectfully,

Dean Searle
Computing Oasis
Caro, Michigan

RE: Weirdness with Tomcat 5.5.17, j_security_check and favicon.ico

Posted by Dean Searle <de...@computingoasis.com>.
Hey! That worked out. I changed my url-pattern to just *.jsp and now my favicon works correctly and entry into my application works seemlessly.

Thank you very much!

Dean Searle
Computing Oasis
Caro, Michigan

Posted by Konstantin Ignatyev <ko...@sourcelabs.com>.

Dean Searle wrote:
> Konstantin,
>
> Thank you very much for replying so quickly.
>
> Is there any way around that? I've tried changing the <url-pattern> from /* to /*.jsp but I get 'Invalid <url-pattern> /*.jsp in security constraint' in my catalina log file. I've tried looking for resources to explain the <url-pattern> usage, but have not found much that helps out.
>
> Thank you in advance!
>
> Dean Searle
> Computing Oasis
> Caro, Michigan

Konstantin

RE: Weirdness with Tomcat 5.5.17, j_security_check and favicon.ico

That is most likely due to security constraints URL in your web.xml

It looks like all your resources are protected and when browser tries to
access favicon before anything else server sees it as protected resource and
displays login form, and then let the request proceed to the favicon once
user provided credentials.

On Saturday 13 May 2006 08:32 pm, Dean Searle wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have just installed a clean server with windows 2003 Standard, Java
> JDK 1.5.0_06  and tomcat 5.5.17. I moved my application that I created
> on tomcat 5.0 to this server and set the application up as a <host>
> site.
>
> When I access the site, it asks for the user name and password (normally
> done). But after you are successfully authenticated, it goes to a 404
> cannot find favicon.ico. So I googled and found that was an issue with
> Firefox, so I tried IE and I can get into the application. But now, when
> I put a favicon.ico in the applications root and I log in. With Firefox,
> right after I log in, I get a page that displays my favicon.ico, but it
> never gets to my index.jsp. I have to go to the url and delete the
> /favicon.ico and hit enter and then I'm into the application. In IE,
> after I log in, it takes me to my application, but it doesn't show the
> favicon.ico in the address bar.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this or could you point me to another
> posting that shows how this was resolved. I thank you in advance for any
> advice I can get.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Dean Searle
> Computing Oasis
> Caro, Michigan

Konstantin

Re: Weirdness with Tomcat 5.5.17, j_security_check and favicon.ico

Posted by Konstantin Ignatyev <ko...@sourcelabs.com>.
That is most likely due to security constraints URL in your web.xml

It looks like all your resources are protected and when browser tries to
access favicon before anything else server sees it as protected resource and
displays login form, and then let the request proceed to the favicon once
user provided credentials.

On Saturday 13 May 2006 08:32 pm, Dean Searle wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have just installed a clean server with windows 2003 Standard, Java
> JDK 1.5.0_06  and tomcat 5.5.17. I moved my application that I created
> on tomcat 5.0 to this server and set the application up as a <host>
> site.
>
> When I access the site, it asks for the user name and password (normally
> done). But after you are successfully authenticated, it goes to a 404
> cannot find favicon.ico. So I googled and found that was an issue with
> Firefox, so I tried IE and I can get into the application. But now, when
> I put a favicon.ico in the applications root and I log in. With Firefox,
> right after I log in, I get a page that displays my favicon.ico, but it
> never gets to my index.jsp. I have to go to the url and delete the
> /favicon.ico and hit enter and then I'm into the application. In IE,
> after I log in, it takes me to my application, but it doesn't show the
> favicon.ico in the address bar.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this or could you point me to another
> posting that shows how this was resolved. I thank you in advance for any
> advice I can get.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Dean Searle
> Computing Oasis