Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2016/09/04 22:49:07 UTC

ooo-site "Participation/Help-Wanted" structure (was RE: What would OpenOffice NON-retirement involve?)

[ ... ]
[orcmid]

Forget about http://helpwanted.apache.org for the moment.  I think I know what is required there.

> >   3. I did look at putting something on the
> current<http://openoffice.apache.org/get-involved.html>  page.
> >
> > Although it is right there in the link, I kept looking for it on
> openoffice.org.  My error.  That explains why ooo-site does not have any
> get-involved/participate page with the "Diese Seite in Deutsch" line and
> the sentence " Although many are content to make a small donation to
> support Apache OpenOffice and the Apache Software Foundation (we
> appreciate every contribution), some users want to get more involved and
> volunteer their time and expertise with the project."
> >
> > Is this a hack on<http://www.openoffice.org>  to break out of the
> localization model and link "I want to participate in OpenOffice" to
> what we call the project site,<http://openoffice.apache.org>?
>
> I don't understand your question. This exists since, hm, I don't know
> when, maybe ever.
>
> It also creates a special island where certain kinds of task are
> recruited from the German Language community, with a separate dev-de@
> list.  That separation puzzles me.
>
> This is not a special thing. It's just a translation of the English
> "get_involved" webpage.
>
> I'm sorry but I still don't know what you really want to do.
[orcmid]

Let me restate my question.

3a.  I found <https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/site/trunk/content/get-involved.mdtext> once I realized I was looking in the wrong place.  I get that the page was created in June 2011 by robweir and was last updated in 2012 and then again in 2015 when the link to a standalone German page was added.

3b. The adjacent German page was created on my birthday in January, 2015, by joesch.

3c. My first question is why is not <http://www.openoffice.org/contibuting>, the material at
<https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/contributing/index.html> used?  If that is obsolete, should we not deleted that folder from the current SVN trunk?

3d. My second question is, why is not <http://www.openoffice.org/participate>, the material at
<https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/xx/participate/index.mdtext> used.  That page was created in August 2013 (also by robweir) and has been part of fixes made as recently as 2014.  This xx area is perfect for localization usage, and would allow others to create localized versions, it seems to me.
  Again, if this folder is not actually used on the site, should it not be deleted from the current SVN trunk?
  My preference would be for the xx to be used so that the opportunity for localizations in other languages, not just German, could be handled in what appears to be the standard way.

What is the barrier?

Re: ooo-site "Participation/Help-Wanted" structure (was RE: What would OpenOffice NON-retirement involve?)

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 09/07/2016 10:15 PM, schrieb Marcus:
> Am 09/07/2016 09:56 PM, schrieb Dennis E. Hamilton:

on a second look the both pages [1] and [2] are very similar. So, I have
updated just a few things and kept them equal. If there is more to do
just give me a hint.

[1] http://www.openoffice.org/xx/participate/index.html
[2] http://openoffice.apache.org/get-involved.html

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.