Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Andrey Grebnev <fo...@udm.ru> on 2005/04/28 09:24:37 UTC

Encoding problem during authentication

Hello,

  I have a problem under following environment:
   - Windows XP SP2
   - JDK 1.4.2_04
   - Tomcat 5.5.9
   - Struts 1.2.4

  I use characterEncodingFilter to setup UTF-8 encoding
into request before
  using the content of the request. When I submit form with
POST
  method it works well. I use FORM based authentication.

  However if I perform the following steps I have the
problems with
  encoding:

  1. Open JSP with HTML form which submit some UTF-8 string
data using POST
  method.
  2. Waiting when the HTTP session is invalidated (session
timeout).
  3. Submit the form.
  4. Because session is invalidated I need to
re-authenticate myself.
  5. After success authentication The processing of the
original request is
  continued.
  6. The data of the form (from first step) is saved in
incorrect
  encoding.

  I suppose that Valve (FormAuthenticator) which
responsible for authentication is
  processed earlier then characterEncodingFilter and the
parameters from
  POST request are parsed using
  DEFAULT_CHARACTER_ENCODING="ISO-8859-1" when the original
request
  information is saved into session.

  I have tried to specify
enctype="application/x-www-form-urlencoded;
  charset=utf-8" attribute for my FORM tag. But e.g.
Mozilla browser
  specify only Content-Type:
application/x-www-form-urlencoded header
  and cut out specified charset.

  Any ideas?

--
Best regards,