Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Ivan <xh...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/25 06:14:06 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache OpenEJB 3.0.4 (Second Try)

Hi,
    Let's vote for Apache OpenEJB 3.0.4, this release is mostly for the
incoming Geronimo 2.1.8.
    Comparing with the last version, only two JIRAs are included :

    OPENEJB-1091: Cause of RollbackException swallowed
    OPENEJB-1258 Boolean conversion problem in ejb-jar.xml

    binary repository  :
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheopenejb-094

    source codes :
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openejb/tags/openejb-3.0.4

    vote artifacts :

     Vote will be open for 72 hours.

     [ ] +1  approve
     [ ] +0  no opinion
     [ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)

--
Ivan

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache OpenEJB 3.0.4 (Second Try)

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@gmail.com>.
Great reminder Kevan.
As always i would say.

Gonna read It again quickly.

Jean Louis

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ivan <xh...@gmail.com>.
Hmm, seems that  I did not generate a source tar/zip, not sure whether it is
must, as it is just for Geronimo dependency.
Here is my +1.

--
Ivan

Re: Release binary scanning tool

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On 10/03/11 20:54, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> On 10/01/11 05:59, David Blevins wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 30, 2011, at 4:11 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>> It'd need a name (we've been picking animal bits recently eg 'eye'
>>> and 'whisker' if you're short on inspiration)
>>
>> How about tentacle. As in the thing cephalopods use to wrap an
>> otherwise impenetrable shell and forcibly pry it open, exposing it's
>> contents for consumption.
>>
>> That could work for a tool that grabs the binaries (shells), cracks
>> them open and displays their contents for the public.
>>
>> bob: "We're going to do a release!"
>> joe: "I can't wait to get my tentacles on it."
>>
>> Maybe the plural, tentacles. You can't do much with one tentacle.
>
> +1
>
> I like tentacles :-)

Hopefully you should have rat karma now. I look forward to taking a look
at tentacles once you've checked it in :-)

Robert

Re: Release binary scanning tool

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <rd...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
On Sep 30, 2011, at 4:11 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> On 09/30/11 00:31, David Blevins wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> See below for some details on a little release scanning tool I wrote a couple days ago to help us get a few votes out more quickly.
> >
>> Seems like this is a fine place for a little tool like this to live.
>
> +1
>
>> Not fancy, maybe 5 or so hours of hacking, but a fairly effective start.
>>
>>  src->   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openejb/trunk/sandbox/legal/
>>
>> Would love to check it into a sandbox or something.
>
> We don't really have a sandbox but I'd be happy to slot it in at the top level[1]
>
> It'd need a name (we've been picking animal bits recently eg 'eye' and 'whisker' if you're short on inspiration)

How about tentacle.  As in the thing cephalopods use to wrap an otherwise impenetrable shell and forcibly pry it open, exposing it's contents for consumption.

That could work for a tool that grabs the binaries (shells), cracks them open and displays their contents for the public.

 bob: "We're going to do a release!"
 joe: "I can't wait to get my tentacles on it."

Maybe the plural, tentacles.  You can't do much with one tentacle.

-David

Re: Release binary scanning tool

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <rd...@apache.org>.

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/rat/

Release binary scanning tool

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
Hey all,

See below for some details on a little release scanning tool I wrote a couple days ago to help us get a few votes out more quickly.

Seems like this is a fine place for a little tool like this to live.  Not fancy, maybe 5 or so hours of hacking, but a fairly effective start.

 src->  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openejb/trunk/sandbox/legal/

Would love to check it into a sandbox or something.

-David

Begin forwarded message:

Posted by Ivan <xh...@gmail.com>.
Cancel the vote for the next try.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@gmail.com>.
Also interested to get the answer ;-)

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@japila.pl>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
On Sep 28, 2011, at 1:13 AM, Ivan wrote:

> Before I take the next step action, I wonder that those license issues must
> be fixed, right ? Also,  for each binary file, only one LICENSE file is
> required in the META-INF directory, which contains all the licenses, all
> those license files,
> e.g. openejb-3.0.4/lib/openejb-http-3.0.4.jar.contents/META-INF/LICENSE
> should be removed. right ?

All the "foo.jar.contents" directories are just unpacked versions of the related jar, say "foo.jar".  Makes it easier to browse the contents of a jar that contains other jars -- all the zips, wars, etc.

But whatever those licenses and notices contain should be in the "top level" LICENSE and NOTICE file of the archive.  And ideally there'd be only one LICENSE and NOTICE per actual jar (not counting the jars inside the jar).

Only trick is some of those NOTICE files are wrong (the rules changed), specifically you only need one "The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/)" entry in there for all of Apache and not one per project.

Going to be using the tool to clean up trunk as well which I think is also in bad shape.

-David

Posted by Ivan <xh...@gmail.com>.
Before I take the next step action, I wonder that those license issues must
be fixed, right ? Also,  for each binary file, only one LICENSE file is
required in the META-INF directory, which contains all the licenses, all
those license files,
e.g. openejb-3.0.4/lib/openejb-http-3.0.4.jar.contents/META-INF/LICENSE
should be removed. right ?
Thanks.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ivan,

OK, finally figured what happened.
It was an encoding issue with an ejb-jar.xml file.

Everything seems to work fine.

So, here is my +1.

Sorry for the delay.

Jean-Louis