Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Eugene Vital <ev...@egntech.com> on 2008/07/28 10:38:00 UTC

Subversion Reporting

Are there any good reporting packages available for Subversion?

Commercial or Open Source is fine.

Thanks.

Re: Subversion Reporting

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 06:38, Eugene Vital <ev...@egntech.com> wrote:
> Are there any good reporting packages available for Subversion?
>
> Commercial or Open Source is fine.

You'll stand a better chance of getting answers if you define "reporting."

Re: Subversion Reporting

Posted by N D <ni...@gmail.com>.
I am also looking for something similar, other than the statsvn and task,
which can be used only with svn1.3 above, m using svn1.1

On 7/28/08, Eugene Vital <ev...@egntech.com> wrote:

> I was looking to see if there was anything available so I could get a
> broader scope of what's out there.
>
> Server statistics is one.
>
> We would also like to see general statistics like commits per developer,
> what code is getting the most changes etc... In general the basic reports
> one would need to manage the repository on a day to day basis.
>

> Thanks.
>
> prakash tiwary wrote:
>
>> Hi Eugene,
>>   What king of reports you are looking at? Is it svn server statistics? We
>> are into the same business. Could you please give more details?
>>
>> Regards
>> Prakash
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 4:08 PM, Eugene Vital <evital@egntech.com<mailto:
>> evital@egntech.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    Are there any good reporting packages available for Subversion?
>>
>>    Commercial or Open Source is fine.
>>

>>    Thanks.

Niranjan Deshpande

"Shut yourself from the world and create the reality you want"

Re: Subversion Reporting

Posted by Benjamin Smith-Mannschott <bs...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 29, 2008, at 08:17, prakash tiwary wrote:

> Hi,
>    I agree commits per developer is a bad metric, but it is useful
> in extreme cases. If you use it over the long span, Its gives you an
> indication to over all performance.
> Think a case, where the average commit of a developer is very less
> than others members, say for example 3 times in a month or two
> months, where as the others have around 20 . This is an indication
> that work is not proportionally distributed as per  role or some
> thing wrong happenings.  This metric will be used to identify where
> you want to ask questions.  This metric is proven to be useful in
> offshore
> development.
>
> Regards,
> Prakash

Or it could just mean *nothing at all*.  It could just as easily be an
indication of how fine-grained a developer's commits are.

I've played with SvnStat and, have recently seen my commits-per-day
shoot through the roof.  Why?  Well, I've taken to preparing features
in feature branches instead of working directly on trunk.  This allows
me to make many small commits on the branch without cluttering up the
history (of trunk).  When I'm done I group the commits on the branch
into one or a few large logical chunks and merge them to trunk.

I'm not implementing more functionality than I would have if I'd
hacked it directly into trunk, but it sure looks more impressive. The
advantage I can see is that I'm not keeping so much state suspended in
my local working copies between comits. I'm also not likely to trip up
others with half-implemented features comitted to trunk.

// Ben

Re: Subversion Reporting

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
"Stefan Schulze" <al...@gmx.de> writes:
> prakash tiwary wrote:
>> Think a case, where the average commit of a developer is
>> very less than others members, say for example 3 times in
>> a month or two months, where as the others have around 20.
>> This is an indication that work is not proportionally
>> distributed as per role or some thing wrong happenings.
>
> This could also mean that the developer have the same workload, but he's not
> commiting as frequently as the other developers.
>
> Using these metrics for management-purposes you encourage the developers to
> commit extremely often (every twenty minutes or something like that). The
> complexity of the commited work isn't taken into account neither.

Indeed.

Measure the quality of a programmer by the number of commits she makes
is like measuring the quality of a legislature by the number of laws it
passes.

-Karl

RE: Subversion Reporting

Posted by Stefan Schulze <al...@gmx.de>.

Re: Subversion Reporting

Posted by Eugene Vital <ev...@egntech.com>.
prakash tiwary wrote:
> Hi,
>    I agree commits per developer is a bad metric, but it is useful in
> extreme cases. If you use it over the long span, Its gives you an
> indication to over all performance.
> Think a case, where the average commit of a developer is very less
> than others members, say for example 3 times in a month or two months,
> where as the others have around 20 . This is an indication that work
> is not proportionally distributed as per  role or some thing wrong
> happenings.  This metric will be used to identify where you want to
> ask questions.  This metric is proven to be useful in offshore
> development.
>
> Regards,
> Prakash

This isn't for performance statistics for the developer but rather to
monitor that the commits are happening. We are continually faced with
developers not checking in for days or weeks at a time and that is not
our business model.

We have commit hooks we can modify if needed and log the commits to a
database and report off of that daily but I was looking to see what
others have already done.

Again, I was looking to get a general feel for what tools/reports were
available. Sometimes you don't know what is useful until you see what
others have used / needed.

> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 5:51 PM, Andy Levy <andy.levy@gmail.com
> <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 07:25, Eugene Vital <evital@egntech.com
>     <ma...@egntech.com>> wrote:
>     > I was looking to see if there was anything available so I could
>     get a
>     > broader scope of what's out there.
>     >
>     > Server statistics is one.

I guess Server Statistics is a bad term. How about Repo Statistics? Disk
usage, free space etc....

Re: Subversion Reporting

Posted by prakash tiwary <pr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Subversion Reporting

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 07:25, Eugene Vital <ev...@egntech.com> wrote:
> I was looking to see if there was anything available so I could get a
> broader scope of what's out there.
>
> Server statistics is one.

What are "server statistics"?

Re: Subversion Reporting