Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Dave Tenerowicz <dt...@salmonllc.com> on 2008/02/12 19:28:12 UTC

CC declined, order rejected - how to keep the order, but allow user to switch to a different payment method

In order to test default functionality when a credit card payment on an
order is declined, we changed the settings in Product Store, Payments
tab for Payment Auth service to alwaysDeclineCCProcessor.

Then we tested by creating an order and submitting a CC# as a payment
method. Of course the CC was declined, and the Order status was set to
ORDER_REJECTED, OrderITemStatus was also set to rejected. Since there is
no valid status change allowed from ORDER_REJECTED to anything else,
there appears to be no way to take the existing order, assign a new
paymentMethodId and reattempt authorization with a different credit
card. Is this true?

To remedy this, we could add an entry to StatusValidChange that allows a
movement from ORDER_REJECTED back to ORDER_APPROVED, modify secas.xml
and theoretically that should allow the user to select an alternate
payment method from the Order Detail screen and reprocess payment.

Is this the best way to handle this? The requirement is to allow an
order taker to switch to a different credit card if the first one is
declined - without having to completely re-enter the order.

If anyone has encountered this before, or has a suggestion about an
approach, that would be most welcome. Thanks

--
Dave Tenerowicz
dtenerowicz@salmonllc.com

Office: 303.493.6727
Mobile 303.906.6116
Fax 303.814.8331

Visit us at http://www.salmonllc.com
For ERP Information: http://www.salmonllc.com/Jsp/vanity/ERP_CRM.jsp?nav=2&NavBarId=ERP_CRMServices

Re: CC declined, order rejected - how to keep the order, but allow user to switch to a different payment method

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
We have a box that if thier card is declined the order will have to
placed again. We suggest they put in as many forms of payment so if one
does not work, the system will automatically try the others they have
entered.

Dave Tenerowicz sent the following on 2/12/2008 2:23 PM:

Posted by Dave Tenerowicz <dt...@salmonllc.com>.
Thanks BJ

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
That is the best way to simulate a decline in development.

As for keeping an order when a card is declined I think you'll have to
make code changes. The default behavior is to reject the original
order and create a new one. In ecommerce and the order mgr the cart
retains all information, plus ID of the original rejected order. Then
the user can try again.

-David

Posted by Dave Tenerowicz <dt...@salmonllc.com>.

Posted by Dave Tenerowicz <dt...@salmonllc.com>.

Christopher L wrote:
> If the customer enters a new card, the new card will have a new cvv.
>
> So I can keep things straight, here's a simplified outline of my understanding of the normal process flow in credit card payment acceptance for physical goods over the internet.
>
> 1)  Customer puts items in shopping cart.
> 2)  Customer goes through checkout process and enters payment information including credit card number and cvv code.
> 3)  If the card is rejected, the customer goes back to step 2.  Else the authorization was successful, goto 4.

If you set Header Declined and Item Declined values in the Product store
to Approved it will go back to 2. By default these are set to Rejected,
in which case the process dead ends with a declined OrderPayPref and a
Rejected Order
> 4)  The authorization code is stored.

I believe stored in PaymentGatewayResponse
> 5)  Merchant ships product and sends a "capture" event to the credit card processor with the authorization code.

On Order approval an authorization is captured. This may be over ridden
by a forced approval of order.
The capture is done either on Packing or Shipment - I don't recall which

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
I am only speaking of ofbiz capabilities as it is implemented now.
yes many of my customers authorize first then charge once shipped.
The routines are there to implment.
It has become more difficult to implement changes in order flow with the
addition of the accounting.

Christopher L sent the following on 2/13/2008 2:08 PM:

Posted by Christopher L <cl...@hotmail.com>.
SJ:  Good point, I agree.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
1) yes

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
Christopher L wrote:
> If the customer enters a new card, the new card will have a new cvv.

For registered users credit cards are stored and CVV code is not stored
along with card as it is prohibited by credit card companies. Customers'
can store more than one credit cards and choose one of them during
checkout. CVV code is entered at the time of checkout.

Posted by Christopher L <cl...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by Dave Tenerowicz <dt...@salmonllc.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
guess I should finish the thought.
alwaysDeclineProcessor is a test service.
if you look at authOrderPaymentPreference()
you will see that it will try all the CC on file at the time.
There is more than just changing the Status.

BJ Freeman sent the following on 2/12/2008 11:04 AM:

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.