Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by kennyk <ke...@ontoforce.com> on 2015/03/26 10:23:47 UTC

How partial are partial updates

Hi all,

I have a question.  Here
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Updating+Parts+of+Documents>
I read that
/Solr supports several modifiers that atomically update values of a
document. This allows updating only specific fields,/
 and that
/All original source fields must be stored for field modifiers to work
correctly/

And  here <https://wiki.apache.org/solr/Atomic_Updates>   even more
explicitly
/Internally Solr re-adds the document to the index with the updated fields./

Does solr have to reindex the whole document and not just the modified
fields? If so, can  you give me an idea of the amount (factor) of speed
gained by partial re-indexing?

Re: How partial are partial updates

Posted by Mikhail Khludnev <mk...@griddynamics.com>.
On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 12:23 PM, kennyk <ke...@ontoforce.com> wrote:

> Does solr have to reindex the whole document and not just the modified
> fields?

yep. you are right.

> If so, can  you give me an idea of the amount (factor) of speed
> gained by partial re-indexing?

it's exactly the same what you have in indexing, and little bit worse,
because you need to read stored fields.

here is some notion of true field updates, but it doesn't updates inverted
index, nor available in Solr.

--
Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev