Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Alok Jain <al...@offerpal.com> on 2009/07/02 00:38:22 UTC

Can I have each portlet in different war

Hi,
              Can I have  each portlet packaged in a different WAR and deployed in the same portal server.

Thanks,
Alok.

Re: Can I have each portlet in different war

Posted by Eva Petro <ep...@xtra.co.nz>.
Hi Alok

You are right. "Decorations" in Jetspeed are totally different to the .jspx
theme files required by IBM Websphere Portal for instance.

But it is a one-off fix, as typically one theme is shared by many portal
pages. We develop on Jetspeed, and deploy on IBM Websphere Portal. We have
found we only need a couple of themes on each, so the extra work is minimal.

Regards

Ron McNulty

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
You would have to look at the standard to see how far it goes into the
PSML files. I have no idea if they are part of the standard or not.
In any event, this has no effect on your portlets. They have no idea
about how they are getting onto the page.
They do not interact with themes or page layouts. They just know that
they have been put on a page and have to draw themselves and react to
the user's interaction with the on-screen components.

In the worst case, if you change portal technologies, you might have to
tweak your portal level decorations and page layout structure. The bulk
of your application will be unaffected.

We built a DAO layer and a utility package for our Jetspeed access from
portlet controllers to help isolate the portal application developers
from Jetspeed and to make common operations simpler.
It was not done with the goal of changing portal technologies but you
might adopt a similar approach if you are worried about being too
dependent on a particular JSR-168 implementation.

Ron

Posted by Alok Jain <al...@offerpal.com>.
Hi Ron,

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <d....@onehippo.com>.
On Jul 2, 2009, at 6:44 AM, Glen Mazza wrote:

> I have a related question:  In the Jetexpress tutorial[1], the
> Jetspeed
> archetype is shown creating a single portlet in its own module:
> jetexpress-pa.
>
> Question:  If I have multiple portlets, should I place them in
> separate
> submodules:  jetexpress-pa2, jetexpress-pa3, ...  *or* place them
> all in the
> jetexpress-pa module and create MyPortlet.java, MyPortlet2.java,
> MyPortlet3.java, etc. all in the same project folder?  What's
> normally done?

Generally speaking, try to group portlets into portlet applications
along common themes such as :

* shared session state
* shared base or utility classes
* shared dependency versions such as both using spring 2.5 or the same
version of hibernate
* common functionality, such as  a suite of Accounting System portlets
for example or whatever your line of business is

Take a look at some of our applications:

http://portals.apache.org/applications/

Take for example the Web Content portlet application. Here we have
both IFrame and Web Rewriting portlets all bundled together under a
common theme

Re: Can I have each portlet in different war

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.
I have a related question:  In the Jetexpress tutorial[1], the Jetspeed
archetype is shown creating a single portlet in its own module:
jetexpress-pa.

Question:  If I have multiple portlets, should I place them in separate
submodules:  jetexpress-pa2, jetexpress-pa3, ...  *or* place them all in the
jetexpress-pa module and create MyPortlet.java, MyPortlet2.java,
MyPortlet3.java, etc. all in the same project folder?  What's normally done?

Thanks,
Glen

[1] http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/tutorial/01/project-structure.html

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.