Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> on 2011/05/25 00:35:24 UTC

Re: Question on TS running as a reverse proxy on port 80

On 05/24/2011 04:27 PM, Subbu Allamaraju wrote:
> I'm trying to run TS on port 80 on Ubuntu as via
>
> sudo traffic_server start

Hi Subbu :),

first, traffic_server is not an RC script, it's actually the binary that
will (eventually) run. If you wish to use the RC script, it's

    sudo trafficserver start

The fact that you ran traffic_server might now have screwed up your
permissions, since it probably created some files owned by root, which
needs to be owned by nobody or whatever user you configured it to run
as. The best way to fix that is to simply uninstall and reinstall ATS
again (nuke all remnants of /usr/local/var/trafficserver etc.).

That much said, it should work to just run 'sudo traffic_server", so not
sure why that is failing. Perhaps it's the "start" argument, I'm not
sure what we'd do with that ;).  Also, what version of ATS are you
trying to install?

Cheers,

-- Leif

Re: Question on TS running as a reverse proxy on port 80

Posted by "Alan M. Carroll" <am...@network-geographics.com>.
I created a problem with running traffic_server standalone (not via
traffic_manager) by moving the change user id logic. However, that change was
required in order to get transparency to work. Currently it works for both on
Linux if you have libcap-devel installed (that is, ATS can link with libcap).
We're looking in to a better fix.

Re: Question on TS running as a reverse proxy on port 80

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On 05/24/2011 05:45 PM, Subbu Allamaraju wrote:
> Thanks. Newbie mistake.

Actually, Bryan looked into this, and I think we have a regression. Alan
and Bryan are looking into it, it needs to be fixed for v2.1.9.

Thanks!

-- leif

Re: Question on TS running as a reverse proxy on port 80

Posted by Subbu Allamaraju <su...@subbu.org>.
Thanks. Newbie mistake.

Subbu