Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Holden Karau <ho...@pigscanfly.ca> on 2018/03/02 02:51:43 UTC

Merging Python code? Help avoid Python 3 regressions with these two simple steps :)

I may have watched too many buzzfeed videos this week but the steps are:
1) git checkout the PR in question
2) Run tox -e lint_py2,lint_py3

This is important since Python 3 isn't installed on the Jenkins workers
just yet and we have some tests to catch basic invalid Python 3 which we
can slowly grow as we fix the issues and you can help us keep moving
forward!

If step 1 is too much work I like using the hub program I find it helps me
with this part of my workflow in other projects. That being said you don't
have to do this, we'll fix whatever errors come up, so if this is going to
slow your workflow down or you otherwise don't like it feel free to pass
along.

Re: Merging Python code? Help avoid Python 3 regressions with these two simple steps :)

Posted by Ahmet Altay <al...@google.com>.
Sent https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/4801 to enable py3 lint for
precommits.

On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 11:23 AM, Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>
wrote:

> To address the first point, 3.4 is almost certainly sufficient for our
> needs (running lint_py3 to prevent regressions). Also, +1 that automating
> this is going to be much more effective than asking users to manually do
> extra steps.
>
> Long-term, we should definitely support 3.5+, definitely not support 3.1
> or below, and probably look at usage numbers/customers/what's shipped with
> different OSes for 3.2, 3.3, 3.4 (my guess is that 3.4 is the lowest we'll
> want to go).

Thank you for this explanation. Filed (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-3781) as a reminder to figure
this out once have some reasonable python 3 support.

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>.

Posted by Ahmet Altay <al...@google.com>.

Posted by Holden Karau <ho...@pigscanfly.ca>.

Posted by Alan Myrvold <am...@google.com>.