Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/01 07:15:21 UTC

Re: branching in couchdb

So I didn't realize we settled on Ticket-{feature,fix}_coolname here (hence
my git spam this morning) . Imo this naming is awkward and miss the initial
goal. ie make it easy to parse even for humans.

Today this isn't a problem we have not so many branch. But in near future I
expect more activity on the repo and it will become important. It will be
hard to rename it after than deciding today on a good naming. Imo we should
really think a little more on that. Beeing relaxed is fine, but to be
honest I am generally more relax when I know  that things in the future
won't be a problem.

- benoit

Re: branching in couchdb

Posted by Adam Kocoloski <ko...@apache.org>.
On Nov 1, 2012, at 11:29 PM, Eli Stevens (Gmail) <wi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 9:28 PM, Adam Kocoloski <ko...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi Eli, Benoit linked to a variant of it in the beginning of this thread.  There's a lot to like about it, and most of it is very similar to the workflow we're converging on in this project.  The big difference is that in git-flow the HEAD of "master" is always the latest tagged release, and that "develop" is where the day-to-day completed work lands.
>
> I didn't realize it was a direct variant; the lack of an explicit
> release branch seemed like a significant change in process (perhaps
> appropriate for the poster's use case, but doesn't seem to fit what
> I've seen of CouchDB).

Agreed, I think the original git-flow is a better match for packaged software development.

>  Note that at my work we easily changed the
> git-flow "branch 'master' is last stable release" and "branch
> 'development' is integration for next release" defaults to be 'stable'
> and 'master' respectively.

Good to know.

>> Personally I don't think I would coerce CouchDB into the nominal git-flow shape, but I thought I'd note the similarities in case others find the tooling really appealing.  Cheers,
>
> As an outsider, aside from naming convention, it's not clear what the
> mismatch is; care to expand?  Of course, if this is getting off-topic,
> feel free to let this part of the thread die.  :)

So, actually, I forgot one huge detail, which is that our git setup disallows merge commits on master!  I was only reminded of it after the X-Couch-Id Pull Request was accepted earlier today.  So I guess our conditions for branching and our naming of those branches are reasonably similar to git-flow, but the fact that those branches are rebased/squashed/cherry-picked/deleted instead of merged means we actually have a completely different workflow after all ;)  Cheers,

Adam

Re: branching in couchdb

Posted by "Eli Stevens (Gmail)" <wi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 9:28 PM, Adam Kocoloski <ko...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Eli, Benoit linked to a variant of it in the beginning of this thread.  There's a lot to like about it, and most of it is very similar to the workflow we're converging on in this project.  The big difference is that in git-flow the HEAD of "master" is always the latest tagged release, and that "develop" is where the day-to-day completed work lands.

I didn't realize it was a direct variant; the lack of an explicit
release branch seemed like a significant change in process (perhaps
appropriate for the poster's use case, but doesn't seem to fit what
I've seen of CouchDB).  Note that at my work we easily changed the
git-flow "branch 'master' is last stable release" and "branch
'development' is integration for next release" defaults to be 'stable'
and 'master' respectively.

> Personally I don't think I would coerce CouchDB into the nominal git-flow shape, but I thought I'd note the similarities in case others find the tooling really appealing.  Cheers,

As an outsider, aside from naming convention, it's not clear what the
mismatch is; care to expand?  Of course, if this is getting off-topic,
feel free to let this part of the thread die.  :)

Cheers,
Eli

Re: branching in couchdb

Posted by Adam Kocoloski <ko...@apache.org>.

Re: branching in couchdb

Re: branching in couchdb

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 4:46 AM, Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:

> As long as it has the jira ticket number and a short description, I don't
> see any useful distinction between any of the proposals, you can take this
> as a vote for any of them in the event of a tie. I would like to *not*
> include the COUCHDB- prefix, it's redundant.

+1

Re: branching in couchdb

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Re: branching in couchdb

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
Oh, and just a note to say that I don't really care as long as whatever we
pick ties in to the branching process that we fleshed out in Dublin. After
this release I want us to be very strict about how changes land on release
branches. But beyond that, I don't actually know enough about Git to offer
any useful comments. For instance, I don't really understand how master
will be used once we switch to these formal release branches. Perhaps
someone can enlighten me?

--
NS

Re: branching in couchdb

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
i don't want to have to always have to use a tool to just sort branches by
topic. I'm fine to have topic branches associated to their jira naming.
Sounds like a good idea.

- benoît

Re: branching in couchdb

Posted by Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>.