Posted to docs-dev@perl.apache.org by William McKee <wi...@knowmad.com> on 2004/12/30 18:25:41 UTC

Linking confusion

Hi Stas,

I'm trying to recompile Perl and Apache/mod_perl on a Debian Sarge
system using the following versions:

 Perl 5.8.6
 Apache 1.3.33
 mod_perl 1.29

I am compiling mod_perl statically. During compilation of mod_perl, I am
seeing undefined reference errors which are nicely described in the
install page[1]. The prescription suggests rebuilding Perl with dynamic
linking. Sounds fine, but I'm not a C programmer so am not sure exactly
what this means.

>From what I could find reading the INSTALL document that comes with the
Perl source, I need to recompile with the -Duseshrplib compile-time
option.  My understanding is that this option will build a libperl.so
file. Is this correct? Am I taking the right action to build a dynamic
Perl? (It would be helpful to include how to build a dynamic perl in the
mod_perl install docs).

With that option, I am able to compile Apache with mod_perl. Now though,
when starting the newly compiled server, I'm receiving relocation errors
which appear to be due to multiple versions of libperl.so/libperl.a (not
sure which).

While browsing the net for possible solutions, I came across the
troubleshooting document[2]. It seems to say that if 'perl
-V:useshrplib' returns true, then Perl is statically linked. Is this
correct? It seems opposite of what I'd expect from reading the INSTALL
document.

FWIW, I'm pretty much at wits end as to why I'm receiving relocation
errors. I'm going to try reinstalling my modules in the hopes that this
will clear up these errors. If you have any other suggestions or
pointers, I'd be glad to try them.

Thanks,
William

[1] http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/install.html#Undefined_reference_to__PL_perl_destruct_level_
[2] http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/troubleshooting.html#_relocation_errors__or__undefined_symbol_

--
Knowmad Services Inc.
http://www.knowmad.com

Re: Linking confusion

Posted by William McKee <wi...@knowmad.com>.
Let me try to rephrase this post to better fit the nature of this
mailing list. The original gave a bit too much background information.
Here's the short version

1) It would be helpful for non-C programmers trying to recompile Perl to
give more information or a link to more information about how to build a
dynamic perl in the install doc[1]

2) There looks to me that there is a discrepancy in the Perl INSTALL
file and the troubleshooting doc[2]. To my naive understanding, setting
-Duseshrplib enables dynamic linking. The troubleshooting doc indicates
that it enables static linking.