Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> on 2012/10/18 18:07:18 UTC

Apparently unwanted subscriptions

There is a constant stream of "unsubscribe" requests from people who do not seem able to read or execute the unsubscribe instructions on the bottom of the postings.

Should we consider either an intelligence test as part of the subscription process ("How many blue beans make five" sort of question), or a double confirm email, spaced by some time gap (several hours)?

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 18/10/2012 Rob Weir wrote:
> The things we can do include:
> 1) Adding more volunteer list moderators.  List moderators actually
> can unsubscribe users.   But this solution doesn't scale well.

Yes, but I assume that moderators will take initiative whenever someone
complains that he didn't manage to unsubscribe.

In these cases, the moderators should simply force the unsubscription.
This is done by e-mailing (from your moderator address)

replace '@' by '=') and then you, the moderator, receive the
confirmation request and approve it.

So, when someone complains he cannot unsubscribe:

- The moderators should forcibly unsubscribe him at the earliest
occasion with the procedure above, and contact him in private if, for
example, they can't figure out with what address he is subscribed with.

- Other members needn't tell the guy multiple times the way to
unsubscribe, one time is enough.

- If the guy is still complaining after a reasonable amount of time
(say, 24 hours) then something is wrong and either he is a troll or this
must be handled in private between moderators and him.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM, Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:
> There is a constant stream of "unsubscribe" requests from people who do not seem able to read or execute the unsubscribe instructions on the bottom of the postings.
>
> Should we consider either an intelligence test as part of the subscription process ("How many blue beans make five" sort of question), or a double confirm email, spaced by some time gap (several hours)?

We don't have a lot of knobs to fiddle with here.  This is just one of
many, many mailing lists at Apache, and the logic of maintaining a
large number of mailing lists, from an admin view, is we all using
ezmlm, and can control only those settings and capabilities that ezmlm
exposes.  The things we can do include:

1) Adding more volunteer list moderators.  List moderators actually
can unsubscribe users.   But this solution doesn't scale well.

2) Rewrite or clarify or emphasize the unsubscribe instructions in each post.

3) Rewrite the instructions that are sent to new list subscribers that
explain how to unsubscribe

But at this point I'm not sure what is happening here.   It almost
seems like someone got on to their grandparents laptop and signed up
for the list, without them knowing about it.  Or something like that.
This is not just a question of knowing how to unsubscribe.  It is a
question of users who don't even know how they got on the list.  This
is odd, since it is impossible to subscribe by accident.

-Rob

Posted by John Hart <jh...@testra.com>.
On 10/18/2012 9:07 AM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> There is a constant stream of "unsubscribe" requests from people who do not seem able to read or execute the unsubscribe instructions on the bottom of the postings.

Some of the "unsubscribe" request don't have the unsubscribe link at the
bottom. How is this possible?  And some of the unsubscribe posts are the
only posts the requester made. This makes no sense to me.

jrh

Posted by Caesar <ca...@hiwaay.net>.
On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 18:45:25 +0200, Johnny Rosenberg
<gu...@gmail.com> wrote Re Re: Apparently unwanted
subscriptions:

>Another idea would be to just add another way to unsubscribe:
>Just email the list with the word ”unsubscribe” (a few different
>spellings allowed) somewhere in the subject field, and you are
>unsubscribed automatically, after confirming. The unsubscribe email
>should not reach the list.

That's a good idea.

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.
2012/10/18 Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>:
> Le 18/10/2012 18:45, Johnny Rosenberg a écrit :
>

>> Another idea would be to just add another way to unsubscribe:
>> Just email the list with the word ”unsubscribe” (a few different
>> spellings allowed) somewhere in the subject field, and you are
>> unsubscribed automatically, after confirming. The unsubscribe email
>> should not reach the list.
>

> Not sure a confirmation mail should even be required (or just one confirming
> the operation but not requiring a reply to confirm). In such case, people
> are just fed up by the mail and perhaps would not even look at another
> message.
> If someone sends the unsubscribe magic word by mistake, he should notice it
> rather quickly (by lack of mail) and subscribe again.
>
> Hagar

have a forum instead.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg