Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Bjoern Schiessle <bj...@schiessle.org> on 2010/12/22 16:03:11 UTC

namenode doesn't start after reboot

Hi,

After a Kernel update and a reboot the namenode doesn't start. I run the
Cloudera cdh3 Hadoop distribution. I have already searched for a solution.
It looks like I'm not the only one with such a problem. Sadly I could only
find descriptions of similar problems, but no solutions...

This is the error message from the namenode log file:

2010-12-22 16:13:04,830 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode: STARTUP_MSG:
/************************************************************
STARTUP_MSG: Starting NameNode
STARTUP_MSG:   host = pcube/129.69.216.24
STARTUP_MSG:   args = []
STARTUP_MSG:   version = 0.20.2+737
STARTUP_MSG:   build =  -r 98c55c28258aa6f42250569bd7fa431ac657bdbd; compiled by 'root' on Mon Oct 11 17:21:30 UTC 2010
2010-12-22 16:13:05,001 INFO org.apache.hadoop.metrics.jvm.JvmMetrics: Initializing JVM Metrics with processName=NameNode, sessionId=null
2010-12-22 16:13:05,007 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.metrics.NameNodeMetrics: Initializing NameNodeMeterics using context object:org.apache.hadoop.metrics.spi.NullContext
2010-12-22 16:13:05,036 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem: fsOwner=hdfs
2010-12-22 16:13:05,036 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem: supergroup=supergroup
2010-12-22 16:13:05,036 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem: isPermissionEnabled=false
2010-12-22 16:13:05,040 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem: isAccessTokenEnabled=false accessKeyUpdateInterval=0 min(s), accessTokenLifetime=0 min(s)
2010-12-22 16:13:05,335 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.metrics.FSNamesystemMetrics: Initializing FSNamesystemMetrics using context object:org.apache.hadoop.metrics.spi.NullContext
2010-12-22 16:13:05,336 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem: Registered FSNamesystemStatusMBean
2010-12-22 16:13:05,361 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.common.Storage: Number of files = 72
2010-12-22 16:13:05,374 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.common.Storage: Number of files under construction = 3
2010-12-22 16:13:05,375 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.common.Storage: Image file of size 8822 loaded in 0 seconds.
2010-12-22 16:13:05,377 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode: java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSDirectory.addChild(FSDirectory.java:1088)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSDirectory.addChild(FSDirectory.java:1100)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSDirectory.addNode(FSDirectory.java:1003)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSDirectory.unprotectedAddFile(FSDirectory.java:206)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSEditLog.loadFSEdits(FSEditLog.java:637)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSImage.loadFSEdits(FSImage.java:1034)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSImage.loadFSImage(FSImage.java:845)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSImage.recoverTransitionRead(FSImage.java:379)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSDirectory.loadFSImage(FSDirectory.java:99)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.initialize(FSNamesystem.java:343)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.<init>(FSNamesystem.java:317)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.initialize(NameNode.java:214)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.<init>(NameNode.java:394)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.createNameNode(NameNode.java:1148)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.main(NameNode.java:1157)

2010-12-22 16:13:05,377 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode: SHUTDOWN_MSG:
/************************************************************
SHUTDOWN_MSG: Shutting down NameNode at pcube/129.69.216.24

Any idea what could be wrong and how I can get my namenode up running again?

Thanks a lot!
Björn

Re: namenode doesn't start after reboot

Posted by Bjoern Schiessle <bj...@schiessle.org>.
On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 12:02:51 -0800 Todd Lipcon wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 2:50 AM, Bjoern Schiessle
> <bj...@schiessle.org>wrote:
>

> > 1. I have set up a second dfs.name.dir which is stored at another
> > computer (mounted by sshfs)
> >

> I would strongly discourage the use of sshfs for the name dir. For one,
> it's slow, and for two, I've sen it have some really weird semantics
> where it's doing write-back caching.

Thanks for this insights. I now switched to NFS.

Thanks,

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.
I think the bug might be related to this:

and

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please move discussions of CDH issues to Cloudera's lists.  Thanks.

Hi Jakob,

These bugs are clearly not CDH-specific. NameNode corruption bugs, and best
practices with regard to the storage of NN metadata, are clearly applicable
to any version of Hadoop that users may run, be it Apache, Yahoo, Facebook,
0.20, 0.21, or trunk. If you have reason to believe my suggestion you quoted
below is somehow not relevant to the larger community I would love to hear
it.

My understanding of the ASF goals is that we should encourage a cohesive
community. Asking users of CDH to move general Hadoop questions off of ASF
mailing lists just because of their choice in distros encourages a fractured
community rather than a cohesive one.

Clearly. if a user has a question specifically about Cloudera packaging they
should be directed to the CDH lists so as not to clutter non-CDH users'
inboxes with irrelevant questions. I think if you browse the archives you'll
find that Cloudera employees have been consistent about doing this since we
started the cdh-user list several months ago. But if an issue is a bug that
is likely to occur in trunk, it makes sense to me to leave it on the list
associated with the core project.

Personally I do my best to answer questions on the ASF lists regardless of
which distro the person is using - though our distros have some divergence
in backported patch sets, it's rare that a bug in one distro doesn't allow
us to fix a bug in trunk. I can readily pull up several recent examples of
this, and I'm surprised that there isn't more concern in the general
community about bugs that may result in NN metadata corruption.

Thanks,
-Todd

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Bjoern Schiessle <bj...@schiessle.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 09:15:41 -0800 Aaron T. Myers wrote:
> All this aside, you really shouldn't have to "safely" stop all the
> Hadoop services when you reboot any of your servers. Hadoop should be
> able to survive a crash of any of the daemons. Any circumstance in
> which Hadoop currently corrupts the edits log or fsimage is a serious
> bug, and should be reported via JIRA.

this is also what I would expect. Nevertheless the last reboot caused the
problem described at the beginning of the thread. During the tests today
I always stopped the Datanode and Namenode by my own which works
flawlessly. To be a little bit more safe I wrote my own stop-script which
stops the datanode and the namenode before shutdown.

best wishes,

Posted by "Aaron T. Myers" <at...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by rahul patodi <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,