Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by Dave Koelmeyer <da...@davekoelmeyer.co.nz> on 2016/05/15 07:43:22 UTC

Blog post for review: introducing Haddock

Hi All,

This is currently in draft ready for posting, please let me know if any
changes needed:

***********

Introducing the Haddock template

As mentioned in our inaugural blog post, JSPWiki has a new template \u2013
which we call Haddock. It's been refined over the past several developer
releases, and we feel it can now serve as the default, production-ready
template for your JSPWiki installation. Let's take a look at some key
highlights.
A new user interface

Haddock features a clean, modern look and feel which builds upon the
Bootstrap framework. While our legacy default template and associated
skins have served us well over the years, Haddock is a huge leap forward
for JSPWiki's user interface.

JSPWiki's legacy template (click to enlarge):

jspwiki-legacytemplate-1.png

The Haddock template (click to enlarge):

jspwiki-haddocktemplate-1.png

The legacy template and associated skins are still available, but future
user interface development will be focused on Haddock.
A new editing experience

Haddock ships with a brand-new plain editor, packed with new features.
Smart typing pairs, automatic suggestions, and tab completion with
snippets hugely accelerate the process of adding wiki content. Search
and replace has been moved to a floating window, live content previewing
is now also available in a split-screen view, and the editor interface
has been streamlined to display certain commands only when actually
needed. And for folks who prefer a WYSIWYG experience, Haddock ships
with a new WYSIWYG editor as well.

These are only some of Haddock's new features, and we'll be highlighting
a selection in upcoming blog posts. For now, check out everything it's
capable of here:

    https://jspwiki-wiki.apache.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Haddock%20Template

Under-the-hood changes

Haddock's improvements don't just run skin-deep. Javascript and CSS
files have been modularised for improved maintainability and reduced
complexity (making it much easier to create custom dynamic styles, for
example). UglifyJS and wro4j are used to reduce application loading
times. Net result? The speediest JSPWiki yet.
Trying Haddock out

Enabling Haddock is easy, and a quick way to instantly supercharge your
existing JSPWiki site. For any problems, support or feedback, let us
know via our mailing lists.

***********

--
Dave Koelmeyer
http://blog.davekoelmeyer.co.nz

Re: Blog post for review: introducing Haddock

Posted by Dirk Frederickx <di...@gmail.com>.
 The Haddock pages on  https://jspwiki-wiki.apache.org/ were updated as well.
dirk

Posted by Greg Burley <gb...@mpmmarketing.com.au>.
Dave, Dirk,

Posted by Dave Koelmeyer <da...@davekoelmeyer.co.nz>.
On 16/05/16 02:44, Dirk Frederickx wrote:
> Dave,
> Tx -- Great summary !
> dirk
>
> On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 9:43 AM, Dave Koelmeyer <
> dave.koelmeyer@davekoelmeyer.co.nz> wrote:

Hi Dirk, All

No problem \u2013 it's live now:

Posted by Dirk Frederickx <di...@gmail.com>.
Dave,

Posted by Andrew Jaquith <an...@gmail.com>.
Speaking as an old-timer/lurker:

Wow!

Looks really great. I can appreciate the massive amount of work this represents.  Congratulations!

Andy