Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Paul Querna <pa...@querna.org> on 2009/05/25 05:30:50 UTC

Re: svn commit: r777499 - in /httpd/mod_ftp/trunk: CHANGES CHANGES-FTP LICENSE LICENSE-FTP NOTICE NOTICE-FTP README README-FTP STATUS STATUS-FTP

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 11:56 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
<wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> jim@apache.org wrote:
>> Author: jim
>> Date: Fri May 22 12:49:41 2009
>> New Revision: 777499

>> Log:
>> No need (that I can see) to have the -FTP suffix here
>
> -1 Veto, reverting.  Not even LICENSE, which would normally be just
> the AL 2.0 can overlap, because httpd/LICENSE contains many third
> party licenses; cp -r, or svn export ftp atop an httpd tree, and
> you have just deleted the additional licenses applicable to httpd.
>

> The reason was spelled out in;
>
> Revision 664603 - (view) (download) (annotate) - [select for diffs]
> Modified Mon Jun 9 02:10:31 2008 UTC (11 months, 1 week ago) by wrowe
> File length: 4595 byte(s)
> Diff to previous 605333 (colored)
>
> The filenames chosen for the mod_ftp repository are deliberately laid out
> to permit the user to export or unpack mod_ftp on top of an existing httpd
> tree without file conflicts.  Although Win32 and Netware still need a bit
> of patch or magic to inject the mod_ftp build into the httpd build.

that seems silly.  why can't it build like every other module does?

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Paul Querna wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 11:56 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
> <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>> jim@apache.org wrote:
>>> Author: jim
>>> Date: Fri May 22 12:49:41 2009
>>> New Revision: 777499

>>> Log:
>>> No need (that I can see) to have the -FTP suffix here
>> -1 Veto, reverting.  Not even LICENSE, which would normally be just
>> the AL 2.0 can overlap, because httpd/LICENSE contains many third
>> party licenses; cp -r, or svn export ftp atop an httpd tree, and
>> you have just deleted the additional licenses applicable to httpd.
>>

>> The reason was spelled out in;
>>
>> Revision 664603 - (view) (download) (annotate) - [select for diffs]
>> Modified Mon Jun 9 02:10:31 2008 UTC (11 months, 1 week ago) by wrowe
>> File length: 4595 byte(s)
>> Diff to previous 605333 (colored)
>>
>> The filenames chosen for the mod_ftp repository are deliberately laid out
>> to permit the user to export or unpack mod_ftp on top of an existing httpd
>> tree without file conflicts.  Although Win32 and Netware still need a bit
>> of patch or magic to inject the mod_ftp build into the httpd build.
>
> that seems silly.  why can't it build like every other module does?

It can; either or both.  In fact Jim was the author of dynamically extending
the modules/FOO/bar schema, IIRC?

The point is that it is rational to add ftp to the server to build it static
(ok, nobody does that anymore) or build it independently in its own tree.