Posted to dev@hawq.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> on 2016/05/27 00:15:49 UTC

HAWQ-751: Add plr, pgcrypto, gporca into Apache HAWQ

Hi!

it seems that you guys added this as a git submodule.
What is the intent here? If the intent is to be able to build
binary artifacts that include these components that may
be problematic.

Please clarify.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: HAWQ-751: Add plr, pgcrypto, gporca into Apache HAWQ

Posted by Lei Chang <le...@apache.org>.
Hi Roman,

The submodule is used to track the external library versions hawq is
compatible with. It is like a link, and code is not on Apache.

And this makes easy to maintain the version compatibility and the apache
build will not include the submodule.

are there any issues for this method?

Cheers
Lei

Fwd: HAWQ-751: Add plr, pgcrypto, gporca into Apache HAWQ

Posted by Paul Guo <pg...@pivotal.io>.
The intent is to make developers easier to build with gporca support
(configure with --enable-orca).
Previously developer who wants gporca support needs to select proper
gporca/gpos/gp-xerces versions
(Knowing that gporca, etc are fastly evolving) which could work well with
current hawq code,
build them following their build doc, set the orca lib env variables and
then build hawq. Now
with the patch, dev can do all of these automatically. We can also easily
upgrade the
submodule commit if we want include newer gporca features/bugfixes.